Search for content in message boards

Adak Island Cemetery

Replies: 2

Re: Adak Island Cemetery

Posted: 10 Nov 2011 11:16PM GMT
Classification: Query

James Henry Kirby, born 1 Feb 1904, Ellis County, TX, died AFTER Nov 1943.

My math isn't to bad, but good enough to know anytime between 1943 and 1947 is between 64 and 68 years ago, so that appears to me to be more than 50 years, so I'd think you'd have no problems obtaining his death certificate.

BUT, you might run into problems. There might not be a death certificate on file for Alaska. First, this was in the period of World War II. While history indicates the battle with the Japanese had concluded prior to his arrival, his death may have been war related. If not, he appears to have been working under a contract with the US Government, and had a secret clearance. Depending on his activity, his death cause may have been classified secret. His actual location at the time of death may have been somewhere besides where his contract indicated. The Island of Adak was and is remote. The current airport was a product of the Cold War, when the Gov't left in 1997, Adak took the site and incorporated as a city IN 1997!. About the only population in WWII was the military. The military may have had a procedure to provide the State(s) with death information of military members and contract employees, but Alaska was not a State at that time either.

Info from a family tree, that indicates it came from you. This information is helpful/needed to try to find this guy, if he wasn't buried at Adak:

Alaska Defense Command Travel Application For Permit to enter Alaska (No. C.)
Dated 6 Nov 1943.
His address: 1474 Foster Road, Norwalk, California
Intention: To enter Alaska at Military Secret to work as a jackhammer operator with West Construction Co. on Contract #201 for Alaska.
Former Employer: As a medaller from June 1942 to October 1943 for B.M. I. Corp of Las Vegas Nevada.
Selective Service: Board #268 Downey, CA, with address as 2121 Garfield Ave., Hollydale, CA. Classification 2-B (H) Order 11015
Social Security #445-10-2982.

A family tree identified his burial at Plot 1, Row 3, Grave 92, Adak Island, AK.
From Ancestry.
http://awtc.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?d=trees%2Eancestry%...=
Click on the bottom one to obtain poster data.

In 1953, Japanese remains from this cemetery were transported to Japan. I would suspect this is a small cemetery.
I looked at the US Geological Society listing of features (populated areas, cemeteries, etc) and found a small listing of towns in the Aleutian Islands East, to include Adak, but no cemeteries. I tried to access aerial views of the island to locate the cemetery, without success. (And no, I wasn't trying to read the tombstones).

I'd suggest writing to:
City of Adak, PO Box 2011, Adak, AK 99546

The West Construction Company had projects all over the State back then.

Ron Bestrom
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ib_Curious 8 Mar 2011 6:38AM GMT 
judyartley53 11 Nov 2011 4:24AM GMT 
RBestrom7380 11 Nov 2011 6:16AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic