Search for content in message boards

Cousin found dead on Fairbanks street in 1960

Replies: 3

Cousin found dead on Fairbanks street in 1960

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 1:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Mar 2012 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: McLaughlin
Vernita May (Atkinson) MCLAUGHLIN was found dead on a street in Fairbanks on June 29, 1960. She was last known to be living in the California/Oregon area.

Her Aunt Mabel Doolittle's name was found in Vernita's purse. Mabel (my grandmother) received a letter at her home in Nebraska, asking about next of kin.

I have some questions that perhaps a native of the area could shed some light on.

I've been told that she froze to death. How likely is that, given the summer date of death?

I wouldn't expect to find an obit, as she had no connections there. (No one even knows why she was there...) Would this type of death have merited mention in a local paper?

Vernita is buried in Anchorage Memorial Cemetery (under the name "Vernie"). Any guesses why she is buried in Anchorage? I suspect my grandmother paid for the burial, so there was no personal reason to choose Anchorage over Fairbanks. Would Fairbanks have had any reason to have sent her body there? For a criminal investigation? An autopsy? To attempt to identify the body? For a pauper's burial?

Vernita's burial was two weeks after her death. Would they have waited for an answer from Mabel before burying her.

I am aware that I can purchase a death certificate from the state of Alaska. How important is it know for sure where she died in order for them to find it? Family history SAYS it was Fairbanks, but I have found no official death record for her.

Thanks for any thoughts.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Molly_Nightin... 7 Mar 2012 8:58AM GMT 
suerenkert 8 Mar 2012 4:06AM GMT 
suerenkert 8 Mar 2012 4:48AM GMT 
Molly_Nightin... 9 Mar 2012 12:44AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions