Search for content in message boards

John Gigler

Replies: 3

Re: John Gigler

Posted: 7 Nov 2011 11:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
This is your first posting on the Rootsweb message boards (at least under this user name). You did a good job posting the needed information about your person. It would have also helped to identify your GGGrandfather's brothers name and information. "If" he was a tailor in occupation, that may have identified a different John than the one in Alaska. This also may have lead to others posting family trees or other sources of information that may have identified the sought person John with locations or family. Bottom line, just to many to prove/disprove any being correct.

Research:

With the exception of the 1900 Census that you identified as being the correct person, there are other John Gigler that have potential throughout the country. I also checked Canadian resources.

The 1900 Census for Ketchikan, Southern Supervisors District, AK, enumerated March 15, 1900.
John Gigler, located in AK: Mar 1898; address of home: New York, NY, born Dec 1866, born in Hungary to both parents born in Hungary, immigrated 1885/status: "Na"(naturalized. He was a Groceryman at home, mining in AK.
--He was a partner with a Frank Fredricko(Fredrisko?), also from NY. His DOB was Oct 1863 but shown as 26.

The 1910 Census for Township 16, Kern County, CA, enumerated 13 June
John Gigler(transcribed as Jigler), age 44(1865/1866), born in Hungary, immigrated 1891/Na, Miner/Gold, working on Own Account versus worker for others as were so many of the others listed. Living as a boarder in a boarding house headed by Mike Casey, 32, Canadian, waiter in the house.
--Bit of a difference in year of immigration between this person and the one in 1900, and the one in 1920. But the year it often wrong, depending on who provided info. "Sometimes" that year was the year of naturalization, as given by the person.

A family tree: "Creighton - Clouatre Ancestors" has a Leona May Cuttler, spouse: "John Giglir." Access was not available, either a glitch or the owner had removed the family tree from the posted Public Trees.
--The 1900 and 1910 Census show a Mary Cutler/Cuttler, born Mar 1896 in Montana, dau of David. In Deer Lodge Co, 1910.
Another family tree shows this Mary born 1896, married to a James Hotchkiss. This marriage may have come after the Gigler, or it is the wrong person.
There is not enough information on this/these person(s). I wouldn't pay for the marriage certificate research. I'd try other avenues first. I would not pay for Alaska research.

----The John B. Gigler and wife Theresa--------
Also in 1900:
John B Gigler, born Nov 1966, born in Germany, immigrated 1888, a tailor, married to Teresa. Living with him was his brother, John E. Gigler, a tailor, born Dec 1879, immigrated 1892.

The 1910 Census for West Deptford, Gloucester, NJ, 27 April.
John Gigler, 42(1867/1868), born in Germany, immigrated 1893, hired man/farm laborer ("Possibly" the John B, married to Theresa).
--I think this person has "potential" to be the correct one, but is NOT proven. After WWI, the Austro-Hungary empire was reduced to ...nothing. In 1919, the Communist party took over the government and created the Hungarian Soviet Republic. In 1920, the Treaty of Trianon was signed, about one third of the ethnic Hungarian population became citizens of other countries. So, the question: "IF" this is the correct person, was HE, himself, enumerated, or was his information provided by his employer, Benjamin Lodge? MANY people in the census had their information provided by others. "IF" this is the correct person, did HE identify himself as a German versus Hungarian due to political, social reasons? I have seen this, thus, this person is shown, until proven/disproven.

The US Naturalization Index:
John B. Gigler, naturalized US District Court, August 17, 1897, address: 1525 2nd Ave, NY, occupation: Tailor. Born Sept 21, 1866, nationality: German. Arrived New York, June 20, 1888.
--This person also has potential, but could be the person in the 1920 census, or neither could be the correct person.

Obit, New York,
Gigler, Oct 10, 1936, John E., husband of Therese Gigler, 69, North 9th St, Newark, services at Charles J. Guenther's home of Repose, Interment St. Michael's Cemetery, Long Island. (Therese died 7/25, 1939, age 70(1866).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
klinga228 19 Mar 2011 8:02PM GMT 
judyartley53 6 Nov 2011 5:10AM GMT 
judyartley53 6 Nov 2011 5:22AM GMT 
RBestrom7380 8 Nov 2011 6:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions