Search for content in message boards

John J. Tully - Request for photo id's and resources I can tap

Replies: 6

John J. Tully - Request for photo id's and resources I can tap

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 11:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tully
MY REQUEST is to find out about resources I can tap and also to identify people in photos taken at a pig roast in 1936.

I’d like to document my Grandfather John Jackson “Johnny” Tully’s life in Anchorage and Palmer. He divided his time between the two locations. I want to pin down the dates.

Born 12 Sept. 1885 Cornwall, Henry, IL. The family moved to Elyria, Valley, NE in about 1888. Died 16 June 1955 in an Anchorage hospital. Buried in the Pioneer Cemetery in Palmer. I have the obituaries from Anchorage and Palmer papers.

Possibly, he went to AK sometime between 1902 and 1909 for a “look-see,” and he arrived for good in the 1920’s although he made long visits to family in NE. He made his living working as a trapper, working on the roads, working in construction, homesteader, bought and sold land, and he opened the Arctic Circle Trailer Court in Anchorage. He was a ship’s carpenter going from AK to Honolulu (don’t have dates). He had a homestead patent for 113 acres along the Matanuska River in Palmer (application 7 Nov 1932; patent issued 24 Feb 1939). Proof and testimony witnesses were Harry Morehouse and Rupert D. Baird. I have the papers for that. He was not one of the Colonists, although he probably helped with construction both before and after they arrived. He also bought land and then sold it to the agency that was creating the homesteads for the Colonists. He was friends with Colonist Waldo Fox, and provided meat for the winter for Waldo and his two sons.

In Anchorage, for the buildup to WWII, he worked construction for Ft. Richardson and Elmendorf AFB. He also helped build the Mountain View neighborhood and lived there for a short time. Even when he worked and lived in Anchorage, he loved Palmer, had close friends there and considered it his home. I’m trying to pin down dates.

Were there any lists of people living in Palmer before 1940? Are there pay records for people who worked on roads or on the buildup for the Colonists?

I also have a number of photos of people taken in Palmer in 1936 when my Mother visited Grandfather. I’d like some help identifying them.

Thanks so much for any help. I have already posted on the Anchorage message board. Kris

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ktjquest 16 Dec 2012 6:35PM GMT 
judyartley53 1 Jan 2013 7:47AM GMT 
ktjquest 2 Jan 2013 9:20PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 1 Jan 2013 11:20PM GMT 
ktjquest 2 Jan 2013 10:46PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 3 Jan 2013 3:35AM GMT 
kfzello 15 Apr 2013 4:19AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions