Search for content in message boards

Mary Tacee Raven/frog Tlingit

Replies: 8

Mary Tacee Raven/frog Tlingit

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 8:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Aug 2013 6:18AM GMT
My great grandmother was Stikine tribe of the Tlingits, named Mary Tacee (dont know if spelling would be right). The bible that a cousin has says Wheldon Gustov as surnames. She was born in Wrangel area Feb. 20 1846 to Hoodai (Xoo-day?)(mother) raven clan frog moiety . Fathers name was something like "Jackeesh" who may have been part Russian. Not sure. Lots of stories from different parts of the family. She was related to the family of William Paul Sr through his mother.
Mary Tacee Wheldon Gustov married a white man, John P. REED from Westmoreland County PA, who worked for the Hudsons Bay Company. Not sure if they met in Wrangel or in Victoria B.C., as John P. had been in Alaska to look for gold before Vancouver Island. They lived in Victoria before coming to the San Juan Islands in WA, but John P. had been in Alaska to look for gold.
They had two children who died of smallpox, probably in 1860's on Vancouver Island when there was a major epidemic of smallpox among the natives there. Their oldest surviving daughter Mary was born in B.C. Their other children, born in WA were Isabelle, Amy, Sarah Matilda, Margaret, and Jessie: sons William Henry Foster, John Garfield, and Robert REED.
Is there any possibility of finding a record of Mary Tacee's family in Alaska? My mother was signed up with the 13th regional corporation there, and I believe I was registered with them also in 1967, but with my maiden name. Would the corporation have lineage records?
Is there anyone out there who would be raven/frog, and would that make us relatives? I participated in the MTDNA project at National Geographic's DNA project, and my matrilineal line is Haplogroup A, which would be consistant.
Sarah
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
salleyct 28 Jan 2007 3:54AM GMT 
radiclefantas... 19 Jul 2010 7:11PM GMT 
salleyct 20 Jul 2010 2:42AM GMT 
radiclefantas... 20 Jul 2010 6:19AM GMT 
salleyct 20 Jul 2010 6:39PM GMT 
Larue_andre 19 Jan 2011 7:08PM GMT 
rbsampson1963 7 Feb 2013 4:03PM GMT 
salleyct 10 Feb 2013 12:32AM GMT 
rbsampson1963 11 Feb 2013 9:00AM GMT 
per page