Search for content in message boards

Alexander Black - Tanana, Alaska

Replies: 0

Alexander Black - Tanana, Alaska

Posted: 3 May 2010 1:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Black, Dolan, Faulkner, Hathaway
Searching for information on Alexander Black. I believe he was born around 1870 in England. He was in Tanana, Alaska during the time period of (at least) 1897 to 1911, probably as a miner. He was married to an Anna Dolan (born in CA). The marriage produced five children:

Doris Martha (1897, California)
Alexander (1900-1905, California)
Winston H. (1903, California)
Byron Harper (1904, Tanana Alaska)
Muriel (1906, Tanana Alaska)

I believe around 1907 or 1908 Anna returned to reside in California without Alexander. Family notes indicate the living four children were split up among family members (possibly because she could not care for all four). It's possible they returned because Byron accidentally set fire to the family home.

I am in possession of two postcards addressed to Alexander Black, Tanana, Yukon River, Alaska from his son Byron. They are postmarked December 1908 and February 1911.

Another hand written family note indicates: Alexander Black, Herb Faulkner and William Hathaway > Klondike 1897. These were extended family members. It's unclear when Anna initially went to Alaska (with or after her husband).

I am unsure of Winson's middle name, however it could be the same as Byron's: Harper. I am curious as to where the name Harper came from as I've researched Tanana and found there was a Harper's Station. I wonder if Alexander was an aquaintance of Harper at Harper's Station.

Alexander Black would have returned to California at some point, I believe not just a vacation trip, but to reside. A family photo shows an older man with a long white beard in a suit at a family event with his grandkids and the back of the photo indicates "Grandpa Black."

Any information would be helpful...Thank you. Lucky.Cookie@yahoo.com

Find a board about a specific topic