Search for content in message boards

Bank Robbery, in Duncan, Arizona

Replies: 15

Re: Bank Robbery, in Duncan, Arizona

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 2:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Aha! Why didn't I think of that? I often use that site for research.

I think it was Joe Hale that knew my parents and wanted to tell his story to my mother, and who like to sit and talk to the guy who brought him in. I found the article when the robbery happened, Sept 15, 1914, in the Tombstone Epitaph. They locked the bank cashier in the vault and took $3200. It says Sheriff Wheeler and Deputy Bowden looked for them in the mountains near Dos Cabezos. A story in the Graham Guardian in Feb of the next year said Hale and Mack got 10 years; in June Ira Greer was found not guilty. I don't remember the name of the lawman talking to Joe Hale, but Wheeler doesn't sound familiar. I have a book of Arizona Sheriffs and it gives John D. Patty as Sheriff of Greenlee Co in 1913-14, followed by James G. Cash, 1915-16. The book includes an account of the Power shoot-out, the Pleasant Valley War and other old and new "badges and bad men" stories. "Arizona Sheriffs: Badges and Bad Men" by Jane Eppinga, published by Rio Nueva Publishers in Tucson (I found it at an art gallery/bookshop in a small So Calif mountain town!).
Barbara
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
delaplace35 2 Dec 2010 4:01PM GMT 
hartner1 3 Dec 2010 9:09PM GMT 
delaplace35 4 Dec 2010 1:19AM GMT 
delaplace35 24 Dec 2010 3:31AM GMT 
JoellenBrown2... 29 Dec 2010 3:18AM GMT 
hartner1 28 Apr 2011 8:04AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic