Search for content in message boards

Zylpha Rogers

Replies: 1

Zylpha Rogers

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 9:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jan 2004 9:51AM GMT
Surnames: Rogers, Moody, Gardner
I am looking for information on my gt-gt-grandmother, Zylpha Rogers Moody Gardner. She lived in Massard, AR (just outside Fort Smith) from 1873 to 1935 when she died, and is buried in Barling Cemetery. She married Walter Moody, an orphan living with Mumford Pelley on a dairy farm in Massard, ca. 1872. they had (I think) eight children, the first being my gt-grandfather Walter Moody. Henry died about 1885/6 when a wagonload of firewood turned over on him.

She married Walter Gardner and they had (I think) three children. According to information from my grandfather, his siblings, and a few of his cousins, She was born in 1855 (the gravestone says 1852, the obit says 1855, and the 1880 census says she's 24). Her father was "John Rogers," but they have claimed several different John Rogerses as their grandfather. They have told me he lived in Ft. Smith, in Massard, and in Westville, OIT. Various records indicate that she was born in Neosho, MO, and in Tennessee. The censuses are as contradictory on this as my relatives.

I have been researching Zylpha (especially) and Henry for about 30 years now, and I have heard these stories for at least fifty from my mother and grandfather. Last night I did a search on the full 1870 census and found exactly one Zylpha Rogers in Vermilion, IN. This Zylpha was 14 (remember she's 24 on the 1880 census) but was born in Illinois. Her parents were Isaac and Sophia Rogers. (I have several ancestors named Isaac who actually were known by their middle names, so this is possible). The "new" Zylpha Rogers had a sister named Sarah born about 1850/51.

I would truly appreciate any information relevant to my Zylpha Rogers or to this new Zylpha Rogers so I identify or eliminate the new Zylpha. I will accept any information about Henry Moody and family too. Thanks :^)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rhbradfordjr 26 Jan 2004 4:35PM GMT 
keighklm 25 Aug 2013 9:31PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions