Search for content in message boards

Hillhouse, Hurt, Estes, Dardin, Pritchard, Cook

Replies: 9

Re: Hillhouse, Hurt, Estes, Dardin, Pritchard, Cook

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 11:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Estes, Risley, Creason, Brannan, Mohney, Miller
I hope you are still watching for replies after so long - I just found your post. My father's maternal grandmother (whom I knew well) was an Estes from Marion county. Her name was Luvenia Estes Brannan (met her husband in Indian Territory, Oklahoma, married 1905). She had a sister (Sarah) and brothers. Her parents were Ephraim and Marinda (Risley) Estes. Ephraim's dad was Edward, who died in a POW camp on Johnson Island during the Civil War. Edward was the oldest son of John Estes. I'm looking for any Estes info that I can find. My dad is almost 90 and I want this for him. He's still very active and sharp as a whip and remembers things like I can't believe.

I'm also trying to find out more about the Risley family. Gram told us until she died in her 80's (late 1960s)that her mother, Marinda, was a half breed Cherokee and her grandma, Sally Miller Risley, was a full blood. We're trying to verify this. I did find the name Miller on a list for head of families that came with a Capt. Benge to Marion county with one of the last groups on the Trail of Tears (1938?). Census records are no help - people were hiding the fact that they were "Indian" and putting down "white".

My father's father, Otha Abraham Creason, Sr., was born in Oakland, Ark. (Marion county) in 1892 and he said he had a lot of Cherokee in him, too, especially his mom, Stella Mohney Creason. Stella's mother and the mother's father-in-law, Phillip Mohney, are buried in the Promised Land cemetary in Marion county (I've found them) but I'm not finding anything else on Mohney's up there. Stella ended up dying and buried in Chelsea, Indian Territory, Oklahoma in 1916 and her grave is in the Dawes Cemetary south of Chelsea (I've found that one, too). Grandpa's first wife was a Susie Beck of Chelsea, Indian Territory, Oklahoma, in 1916. She and her family are Cherokee on the Dawes Rolls and she was getting "Indian money". She and grandpa had a son who died before he was two. Grandpa's cousin, Paul Creason, married Susie's older sister, Lucy, at about the same time grandpa and Susie married. Paul and Lucy had a daughter named Louise who died just a few years ago. So cousins married Cherokee sisters. My grandma, Mary Alice Brannan Creason, was the second wife (1920). Her mom (Luvenia) was married at the time to her second husband, Jim Tanner. He had a sister who was married to grandpa's dad (after Stella died) so this is apparently how Gram knew my grandpa. His father was her brother-in-law by marriage. Gram's Estes family moved to the Nowata, Indian Territory, Oklahoma area in 1902 with a bunch of Marinda's Risley family, too (3 sisters, a brother and an uncle and his family). Her father, Ephraim, died in 1904 and is buried in Nowata (I've found him, too). This is where Gram was coming on the bus every year, to visit her Estes/Brannan/Risley/Creason family members. I wish I'd paid attention better when she was telling me things as a kid....

In the early 1970's I came to Bartlesville, Oklahoma to go to college (from Oregon) and ended up getting married there - only now have I been finding out that I was living in the middle of where my Gram used to come to visit. Nowata is not far from Bartlesville.

Until the last two weeks, I had NO idea that my dad's family had so much history in Marion county, Arkansas! Thank the Lord for the internet.... :-)

Any Estes info you can share with me would be very much appreciated. And I'll give you what I've found if you don't have it already. I hope you are still on this "group".
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Paula Robinso... 20 Mar 2007 2:32AM GMT 
AnitaCreasonM... 17 Nov 2010 6:47AM GMT 
MystyM 17 Nov 2010 7:26PM GMT 
Paula Robinso... 15 Nov 2012 7:20AM GMT 
Paula Robinso... 15 Nov 2012 7:15AM GMT 
CathyConnecti... 27 Nov 2011 8:29PM GMT 
Paula Robinso... 15 Nov 2012 7:19AM GMT 
CathyConnecti... 15 Nov 2012 4:07PM GMT 
CRambaud0860 16 Nov 2012 6:20PM GMT 
Paula Robinso... 19 Nov 2012 5:32AM GMT 
per page