Search for content in message boards

Micajah & Noah Reeder tombstones

Replies: 2

Micajah & Noah Reeder tombstones

Posted: 15 Jul 2001 1:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Apr 2002 6:57AM GMT
Surnames: Reeder, Chandler
I may be the only one who has photos of the original burial site of Noah & Micajah Reeder.

In 1975, Christine Chandler Gamble and A. G. Chandler erected tombstones in Vineyard Church Cemetery for the Chandlers and Reeders who had been buried on Jacob Chandler's farm on the east side of highway 59 north of Evansville.

They did NOT remove the bodies or remains, just moved stones and erected new ones for Micajah, Noah, and Elizabeth. Their remains are still at the original site.

The farmer who owned the land in 1975 had piled up all the stones so that he could graze his cattle there. He refused the request of the Chandler family to allow them to erect a fence around the site and reposition the stones. He allowed them to raise the stones, but would not allow a fence. He said he could not remember just where in the field the stones had been and preferred that the stones be removed altogether. They did not relocate the two original field stones that marked the graves of Micajah and Noah.

I took the photos before their removal. The first photos I took were while the stones were still piled up. I took a second when the readable ones had been raised.

The photos of the old stones and the field where they lay is at this web site:

http://freepages.genealolgy.rootsweb.com/~janelle/cemetery1/...

There is a link on that site to photos of the new stones in Vineyard Cemetery.

Janelle
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JanSwearingen 15 Jul 2001 7:11PM GMT 
greeder11 9 May 2002 1:19AM GMT 
JanSwearingen 9 May 2002 12:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic