Search for content in message boards

James G. CRAIG

Replies: 57

Craig/ Spears

Jody Offen (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Craig, Spears
Hi all, I have also been questioning the Indian heritage of America SPEARS that married to James G. CRAIG. In a deposition she gave submitted to the Dawes Commission she talks about her husband being of Cherokee blood not herself. She also makes mention of the fact that her parents did not want her to marry James because of his Indian blood. This leads me to believe that the Cherokee line is from the Craig family. The affidavits are quiet interesting, in one affidavit a neighbor basically stated a description of James CRAIG and said that he knows an Indian when he sees one. The family in the long run of things was denied and declared intruders. I descend from James G.'s son James Edward CRAIG. Pictures of James Edward CRAIG's son and daughter Granville and Nellie CRAIG leads me to believe that there very well may be Indian blood in their family. To add a little bit more to that, When Nellie's children were in school (this was in Strang/Spavinaw area of OK where they had migrated to) and some people came in and asked all children with Indian blood to go out side and form a line, her children were asked by the teacher to go out side and get in line. I was told this by my great uncle who was Nellie's son Thomas GOINS. He doesn't remember why they were asked to go out he was pretty young then. He did remember that it up set his sister so badly that she went out side and ran straight home.

I have also been told about the Thomas Craig and Stonesipher line but have found no proof to back it up. Does anyone have any proof of this connection? All I can find is the name John as James G. CRAIG's father on a death certificate.

Jody
casper1017@home.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jody Fisher 27 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Michael Freels 5 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Linda Campbell 28 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Michael Freels 6 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Linda Campbell 7 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Kathie (Craig) Brinkman 12 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Linda Campbell 15 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Ember_Wilson 10 Jan 2003 7:44PM GMT 
Jody Offen 9 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT