Search for content in message boards

MOSBY or MOSEBY

Replies: 3

MOSBY or MOSEBY

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 10:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moseby Mosby Marrs
I'm seeking information about James Wesley Mosby (Moseby) b 1848 in Wash. County Ark and died in 1926 in Oklahoma. James married Martha Emmaline Marrs, and served in the Civil War. I'm looking for information about James' parents and siblings.

The 1850 census shows James, at 2 years old, living with an Elizabeth Mosby (presumably his mother), and several other children. The only mention of a James Mosby in 1860 is living with James & Isabel "Man" (likely this is Marr or Mars). In the 1870 census I only found him working as a laborer for the Kelly family, also in Wash County. I can't find Elizabeth Mosby or the other kids in any subsequent census.

I've seen trees that indicate the father is John Singleton Mosby, however I don't believe that to be true. Singleton Mosby would have been 15 years old at the time of James' birth, and younger than that at the time of James' older brother John's birth. In addition, Singleton Mosby's genealogy has been well-traced and the formal record shows no mention of a stop to have illegitimate kids in Arkansas.

Any insight you may have would be welcome!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gennydill 19 Nov 2012 5:51AM GMT 
thomasker2 19 Nov 2012 10:53PM GMT 
gennydill 20 Nov 2012 1:54AM GMT 
thomasker2 20 Nov 2012 12:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic