Search for content in message boards

Where would I get Arkansas prison records?

Replies: 11

Re: Where would I get Arkansas prison records?

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 3:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jan 2013 3:42PM GMT
Surnames: Mansfield, Mooney, Yeager, Ramsey
Thanks for looking things over.

I've got a couple of other women on my family tree who re-married after becoming widows, and they all use their previously married name instead of their maiden name on the certificate. More than likely their married name has become their legal name, so it's required.

My only "proof" that Yeager was dead before 1928 comes from the 1928 Little Rock city directory, where Daisy is listed as his widow. I've attached a quick screen grab of that listing.

There was also a family memory before we knew anything about Yeager and what happened to Elizabeth that Daisy had met Sam Mooney while visiting her husband in prison. Back when all this was much fuzzier than it is now, we didn't even realize there had been three husbands. There was a family memory about a rape and Daisy's husband going to prison. But honestly, we'd thought that this was my actual great grandfather, William Mansfield. At the time, we did not know even know his name, and we did not know he had been murdered by Yeager.

Sam Mooney, incidentally, was a detective for the railroad, so it would make sense that Daisy might meet him at the prison. He would have been married at this time, but his wife died in the early thirties.

This is one reason I want to see if I can get prison records that will verify Yeager did actually spend time in the state pen, and presumably died there before 1928. The other possibility, though, is that Daisy may have told the person collecting information that her husband was dead. I could imagine that you'd want to keep information about a spouse in prison quiet--especially back in those days.

We may never know what Daisy gained by marrying Yeager. Perhaps there had been an affair between them, too. Or perhaps Daisy knew something about what had happened to her daughter and didn't tell the authorities. By marrying him, neither could testify against the other. I just don't know.

I think it's significant, too, that the family moved away from Helena to Little Rock. I was in Helena this past summer doing research and although it was more populated back then, it would have still been a very small town.

Daisy married Sam Mooney in 1936.

In regard to the part missing, do you mean the location of these individuals from 1920 until later? I can't find Daisy, John (who was my grandfather) or Elizabeth in the 1930 census. And I've only found Daisy in the 1940 census. It's kind of odd--as a researcher, I feel that they are hiding from me. But the city directories fill in a lot of the gap. The biggest gap, though, is for Elizabeth. There's a good 15 years missing for her from 1921, when she testified in Yeager's trial to 1935 when she marries Bob Ramsey.

Thanks for looking at all of it. I'm still hopeful that I can put my hands on prison records.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Richard Mansf... 30 Nov 2012 4:53PM GMT 
11944 18 Jan 2013 2:27AM GMT 
Richard Mansf... 18 Jan 2013 2:38AM GMT 
11944 18 Jan 2013 2:08PM GMT 
Richard Mansf... 18 Jan 2013 2:47PM GMT 
11944 18 Jan 2013 3:27PM GMT 
Richard Mansf... 18 Jan 2013 4:38PM GMT 
11944 18 Jan 2013 10:06PM GMT 
Richard Mansf... 18 Jan 2013 10:42PM GMT 
11944 18 Jan 2013 2:34AM GMT