Search for content in message boards

Missing father to great-grandmother

Replies: 6

Missing father to great-grandmother

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 2:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings. I hope this is the right avenue to ask for assistance from someone a lot smarter than me with genealogy.

I have a couple of mysteries in my family. The one that I have been working on for about a year now is for a Eula Mae Chandler. She was born 27 Jul 1893 in Heber Springs, Cleburne, AR and died 14 Apr 1987 in Fort Worth, Tarrant, TX. I know her mother was Mary Emily Chandler who was born 2 Jan 1868 in White County, AR and died 6 Jan 1952 in Little Rock, Pulaski, AR.

My question though is about Eula Mae's father. The story as told to me via Eula's only remaining daughter (age 82) is that Mary Emily (Eula's mother) got pregnant before getting married, which was of course taboo. Then the father had the misfortune of having a wagon accident while driving from Heber Springs to Searcy somewhere before Eula was born. Thus, his name was stricken from the records of the Earth apparently! Of course I am not ruling out the possibility he just ran from his responsibility...

Anyway, I have tried the Cleburne County Historical Society which had no record. I then asked them for names of men who died within the 9 months leading up to Eula's birth. Only one possible match was found, but others on Ancestry.com have him linked to another family and I am unsure how to really verify since there is no 1890 census and he did in fact die and thus had no further census.

I also swung by the Butler Center in LR to see if they had any records. Looking through several Chandler records helped with other people, but not what I was looking for. Finally, I looked in old Gazette records for anyone who died in AR in the right time due to wagon/buggy accidents. There was one result, but it was way south in Marshall.

So, I have kind of run out of leads that I can think of and can really use a hand if someone else can think of an avenue I haven’t pursued yet, please let me know.

Thanks so much,
Brian
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sortarius 9 Jan 2013 9:07PM GMT 
AWStanaland 10 Jan 2013 2:45PM GMT 
AWStanaland 10 Jan 2013 2:49PM GMT 
Sortarius 10 Jan 2013 3:59PM GMT 
Catherine_Sea... 10 Jan 2013 4:35PM GMT 
Sortarius 10 Jan 2013 10:18PM GMT 
AWStanaland 11 Jan 2013 12:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions