Search for content in message boards

Juanita Asburne

Replies: 4

Re: Juanita Asburne

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 11:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Nov 2012 11:57AM GMT
I can't furnish you with an obit but I can tell you almost everything (and probably more) about Juanita than would be in any obit. I suspect that she had no obit published as her only living relative was her daughter who also lived in the Los Angeles area and was probably the one who handled all of Juanita's funeral arrangements.

Juanita Theresa Bonney was born on 17 Jan 1899 in Indiana. Even though her parents were well established in the Omaha, Nebraska area, her father was originally from Indiana and they were probably visiting relatives in Indiana when Juanita was born.

Juanita was a daughter of Bickford R Bonney and Theresa McGuire. She is living with them in the 1900 census but had left home by the age of 18 as she married an actor, Charles W Asburne, in March 1918 in Philadelphia, PA. They had one daughter, Virginia, who was born on 2 Jul 1919 in Manhattan, NYC. Juanita must have had a short marriage and divorced as Charles remarried to Evelyn LaDeaux, a French actress, sometime in the 1920s. Juanita eventually returned to Nebraska and was living with her mother in Omaha between 1934 and 1945. The 1940 census shows Juanita and her daughter, Virginia, living with Theresa Bonney in Omaha but they recorded their surname as Bonney rather than Asburne.

The following is a list of her immediate family.
Father: Bickford R Bonney
Mother: Theresa McGuire
Sisters: none
Brother: Benjamin Bickford Bonney
Brother: Thomas R Bonney
Husband: Charles W Asburne
Sons: none
Daughter: Virginia Florence Bonney

Juanita's brother, Thomas, was a ne'er do well who was always in trouble with the law. There are numerous accounts of his arrests in the Omaha World-Herald. He was still living as late as 1958 but since he was not mentioned in his mother's obit in 1962 he may have died during this 5 year period. On the other hand, his family may have disowned him because of his criminal history and just omitted him from his mother's obit.

Virginia Asburne first married John Robert McCrea on 17 Feb 1956 in Los Angeles and she filed for divorce on 10 Jan 1964, also in Los Angeles. The divorce was final on 19 Mar 1965. John was some 12 years younger than Virginia and he died in 2005 in Riverside Co., CA. Virginia seemed to like younger men because she remarried in 1980 to a man who was 24 years younger than she and they currently live in Las Vegas, Nevada. Virginia had no children by either of her marriages.

I have also attached obits for Juanita's father, oldest brother and mother. These all came from the Omaha World-Herald, dated Sun 8 May 1927, Mon 18 Apr 1931 and Thu 19 Apr 1962, respectively. Charles Asburne used the stage name of Charles Lavine which accounts for the use of Lavine in Bickford's obit. I could find no record of any children by either of Juanita's brothers.
-Larry

Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
chicks 30 Oct 2012 5:10PM GMT 
KinsleuthUSA 1 Nov 2012 10:27PM GMT 
diskoverit 3 Nov 2012 2:44AM GMT 
lnpumphrey 16 Nov 2012 6:49PM GMT 
chicks 20 Nov 2012 6:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions