Search for content in message boards

Childrens Baptist Home Of So.Cal.

Replies: 32

Re: Memories of Childrens Baptist Home Of So.Cal.

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 5:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Nov 2012 6:09PM GMT
The picture is one of Tom Luque’s that he posted on YouTube. I don’t know where he got it. The picture is obviously it is from before his time at CBH. I never thought of it but it could almost have been taken from between the infirmary and laundry looking north. Except the palm tree would be in the wrong place. With the tree for perspective I identify the building on the right as the south west girls’ wing and the tree on the far left as the same as the tree that stood on the north side of the girls sand box in that era with the picture taken facing west.

Have you found the recently created CBH Alumni web site yet? It is at:
http://www.localcommunities.org/servlet/lc_ProcServ/DBPAGE=c... .
It has a lot of Tom Luque’s on it as well as a few other images. Also there are two different CBH discussion boards on Ancestry dot com. The new CBH alumni has links to both as well as to Children’s Baptist Home High School Inglewood on Class mates dot com and Children's Baptist Home on Alumni dot net. You can also find the new alumni for CBH by searching for “CBH Inglewood” Y!. It is a Network of Care End User Site and says: Reunion site for anyone who lived at CBH in Inglewood CA anytime during the 1900's.

Yes I remember by first day at the home quiet well. It probably was not as traumatic for my brother and I as it was for some. Our Ant had prepared us and explained to us why we were going to be there well in advance. I was just old enough at 8 years old to understand that our mother was not all there and was not able to take care of us after our father died. Any ways my first day at CBH our mother came with us a child cases worker picked us and our mother up and drove us to the home. The child cases worker had us wait outside, we sat next to one of the might pin trees in front I thought it would take me a year just to explore it all. After a while the child cases worker came out with the director and introduce him to us. Then the worker left and the director sowed us around and walked us to the cottage that I and my brother would be staying in and introduced us to our housemother. I was very impressed and marveled at all the well kept buildings and expanses grounds. There were swing sets, jingle gyms and play fields. Our mom toke a bus back home. Funny I don’t remember her leaving but I am sure it was a terry eyed farewell. I remember our houseparent taking inventory of what we brought with us and helping us hang up out clothing. There was a concern that we did not have enough clothing but that we had enough till they could find time to get us what we needed. I also remember not being allowed to leave our room until the other kids got home from school that day. It was a real boring 3 or 4 hours. Then when the other children did get back from school the housemother wanted us to meet all the other kids in the cottage and get comfortable with them before we went out to explore our new home. I don’t think we got out all day. The next day was my first day at a new school and it was more of a traumatic experience than moving to the home. I could hardly get thru that first day at school because I wanted to get back to the home so I could finally go out and play at my new home. Guess what I did, I got lost on the way back to CBH! That’s right where 78th street jogs to the right then left at Victoria Ave I fowled the jog instead of terming to the right. I continued west on 78th for a half a block before I realized that I was totally lost. I knew I was closes of course if I continued west and trend right at West Blvd I would have come to the back entrance. But I would not have recognizes it and did not have the foggiest idea where I was at. So when I got to West Blvd and W. 78th I asked an older couple that was in their front lawn if they new where the home is at. I was less than a half a block away and they had no idea of any place called the home. They knew I was lost and called to police to report a lost child. In a few minutes a motorcycle cop showed up. He was really nice and was able to figure out with the help of the police dispatcher that I was probably referring to CBH around the corner from where we were at. So he walked me around the corner then I was able to show him the cottage I recently moved in to. He had me hold on to his hand the whole time. When we walked in to the cottage everyone was straining there neck, the cop said hi to all the kids. They all seemed happy to see a cop all dressed up in motorcycle gear in the cottage. When our house mother came in to the hall she was all concerned that I had gotten into some kind of trouble. But of course the cop only wanted to make sure I live there and explained that I had just gotten lost is all. After that for the first week I was there I was not allowed to walk home by myself. I think I finally got out too play later that day. I remember being a new kid for the first 2 years I was there.

I don’t know what ever happened to Bible I was given when I first got there. I remember it was a brand new Bible. I liked to keep it close to me at night so I could smell the newness. I must have taken it with me when I left 5 years later.

I do remember Mr. Ange he was the house father of the cottage after I was moved to one of the wings. They must have added beds after I left. While I was there, there were always only three beds to a room in all the cottages.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
chas93101 11 Oct 2012 12:16AM GMT 
Costa_Anthony... 11 Nov 2012 4:42AM GMT 
chas93101 16 Nov 2012 1:44AM GMT 
Costa_Anthony... 16 Nov 2012 2:39AM GMT 
chas93101 17 Nov 2012 12:52AM GMT 
Costa_Anthony... 19 Nov 2012 8:28PM GMT 
Gordon Goddar... 8 Apr 2014 12:29AM GMT 
hascal161 6 Feb 2012 8:15AM GMT 
chas93101 11 Oct 2012 12:01AM GMT 
lolo71 22 Nov 2012 1:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions