Search for content in message boards

Newspaper Obit Lookup, Date known

Replies: 6

Newspaper Obit Lookup, Date known

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 9:50PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: McQuade
I was hoping someone has access to a place where the Mendocino Beacon is available for viewing and could help me out as I live in New Hampshire. I found on a page in rootsweb the following regarding my gg grandfather's brother and much of it is confusing:
----------------
McQuade, James P. 1847 PA-24 February 1893
Capt., Co. I, 198 PA Inf.
Rose Memorial Park, Fort Bragg

John McQuaide, an old resident of this coast, a carpenter by trade, and about 62 years old, died at the White House Friday night and was buried Sunday, Rev. Mr. Fisher officiating. The members of the Grand Army Post attended in a body, as he was an old Union soldier, having the fingers of one hand shot off during an engagement. Mendocino Beacon, 4 March 1893, p. 3, c. 5.
------------

Our family has a photo of James with the information of his unit etc.;however, he was born around 1828, not 1847. In addition to this, the text states "John McQuaide" (James' brother's name but the surname is spelled McQuade?) and the age of 62 doesn't match the dates of birth/death given with James' information.

I'm wondering if the entire thing was transferred/taken down incorrectly, though I know from other records I've found James did indeed die on 02/24/1893 and is buried in Rose Memorial Park in Fort Bragg. The info. states it came from the Mendocino Beacon, March 4th, 1893. If someone in their time while searching for newspaper records could spare a few I'd really appreciate it and would recognize you as super awesome for all time. Thanks.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Brian McQuade 30 Nov 2012 4:50AM GMT 
Phil Carnahan 14 Dec 2012 1:25AM GMT 
Phil Carnahan 15 Dec 2012 6:09AM GMT 
Brian McQuade 15 Dec 2012 7:52AM GMT 
Phil Carnahan 16 Dec 2012 12:59AM GMT 
Phil Carnahan 20 Dec 2012 6:41AM GMT 
Brian McQuade 20 Dec 2012 8:03AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions