Search for content in message boards

Gilbert (or Bert) W. Ogden, b1867, Wisconsin - in Rural Salinas in 1940-41?

Replies: 4

Re: Thank you! - Re: FOUND: Gilbert W. OGDEN age 71 died SanMateoCounty CA 1938

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 9:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ogden
Hi, Cousin -

If you haven't already seen it, I have a Public Member Ancestry.com family tree: Knight and Ogden Families, Waupaca, Wis.

Since you are descended from Ivan, which means you and I share a common ancestor, Judge Caleb Smith Ogden, you may be interested in the the family tree. If you wish, I can send you an invitation to view that family tree via Ancestry.com. Just let me know.

One of my "favorite" brothers of Judge Ogden is Jesse L. Ogden who "went West." According to an 1860 Kansas Territory (which included present-day Colorado) newspaper account, he and 2 others were accused of mule theft (a step below horse theft, I guess) in Denver. So far, I haven't found out what happened to him after 1860.

Another brother of "The Judge," "Great Uncle Frank" (Francis A. Ogden) died in Houston leaving a fortune of around $14,000,000 dollars and no will. He hightailed it to Houston from Madison, Wis. where he had been charged, arrested, and tried two different times for operating a "house of ill fame." The guy made millions in real estate, timber, railroads, oil, etc. and he owned two different houses of prostitution!?! Go figure.

Obviously there was an "odd" strain in the Ogden line. Too bad Ivan had a poor opinion of his father, Gilbert.

I do thank Great Uncle Frank for a small part of his fortune trickling down to me. It helped pay for my college education. The guy also donated the land for the public library in Madison, Wis. Plus, he and his classmates at what is now the Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison (the very first class of students at the land grant univ.) donated money to establish the first library for the new university.

All the best from one cousin to another -
Jean E. DeLauche
Missouri (formerly Wisconsin)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jdelauche 22 May 2010 8:10PM GMT 
metaphor 23 May 2010 10:57PM GMT 
jdelauche 24 May 2010 12:53AM GMT 
bogden61 19 Jan 2013 6:23AM GMT 
jdelauche 19 Jan 2013 4:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions