Search for content in message boards

Re: Woodfield

Replies: 12

Re: Woodfield

Posted: 22 Apr 2012 9:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes, the Wheeler family seems to be very interesting, even though I am not related. Instead, I am intrigued by various aspects of Nevada County history, two areas of which are cemeteries and streets. The Lewis Wheeler family meet both of these aspects, as Wheeler Acres Road and Wheeler Cross Road should indicate (you might Google them to get an idea of the vicinity of where the Wheeler Ranch once was).

Part of the information I sent you was compiled from Lewis and Isabella Wheeler's obituaries and the "History of Placer and Nevada Counties California" by W. B. Lardner and M. J. Brock 1924. Along with a very nice biography, this book also contains pictures of both Lewis and Isabella Wheeler, which I'm sure you'd appreciate. If you can't get your hands on a copy of this book, try the research library in Nevada County at:

http://www.mynevadacounty.com/nc/library/Pages/Doris-Foley-L...

or type Doris Foley Library in your preferred seach engine. The fees which help to keep this amazing library open are very reasonable, and are noted on the website. The email address at the library is foley@ncfol.org

Now for a little more information to go along with the inscriptions on some of the cemetery headstones:

Minnie B. Pingree was Isabella (Woodfield) Wheeler's sister and the wife of Perry Parker Pingree. Minnie died in Sacramento, Sacramento Co., CA June 23, 1926. Perry died at the Pingree Ranch near Forest Springs, Nevada Co., CA Oct. 23, 1928.

Herbert O. Pingree was a son of Perry and Minnie B. Pingree, and Bernice M. Pingree was his wife. Herbert died at his home in Grass Valley, Nevada Co., CA Nov. 2, 1985. All I have on Bernice was on her headstone.

Earl W. Wheeler was a son of Lewis and Isabella (Woodfield) Wheeler he had a wife named Anna. Earl died in Nevada County, CA Sept. 24, 1939.

Harlan E. Wheeler was a son of Lewis and Isabella (Woodfield) Wheeler, Katie May Wheeler was his wife. Harlan died in Nevada County, CA Aug. 8, 1949. Katie May Wheeler died in Nevada County, CA June 27, 1970.

Daniel Wheeler was a son of Lewis and Isabella (Woodfield) Wheeler, Elsie C. Wheeler was his wife. Daniel died in Oakland, Alameda Co., CA Dec. 29, 1949. Elsie died in San Francisco, San Francisco Co., CA July 19, 1949.

Florence I. Wheeler was a daughter of Lewis and Isabella (Woodfield) Wheeler, she never married. Florence I. Wheeler died in Oakland, Alameda Co., CA Oct. 24, 1957.

William Rogers was a native of England and was unmarried. He died at Wheeler's Ranch on July 21, 1892 (what his connection to the family was, I do not know).

Mabel E. Brayton was a native of Calif., her father's surname was Roberts. Mabel died in Alameda County, CA on February 22, 1922 (her relationship to either the Wheeler's or the Pingree's, I also do not know)

If you are interested in possibly obtaining obits for any of the above, the library has newspapers on microfilm to assist you in that area. Just send them the names and dates of death.

I think it is fantastic that some of your old family properties are still retained by your family. Are there still any old buildings present on the properties? Sure would be neat to see Lewis Wheeler's old stomping grounds.

Would you happen to know if the name Zenas Wheeler appears anywhere in your family line? He also came to California (1848) and Grass Valley in July 1850 and was a native of Maine. There is an interesting early day story in which he was connected and it seems uncanny that his sawmill property was later owned by John Shaw. John Shaw was the father of Daniel Wheeler's wife, Elsie C. Wheeler. Zenas Wheeler may have been born circa 1816.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Derek Nuss 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Karen 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
SCattle 25 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
@@genie@thevi... 23 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Judith 13 Aug 2001 10:00PM GMT 
jaadrewws 14 Apr 2012 12:15AM GMT 
NevCoCalGal 15 Apr 2012 3:33PM GMT 
jaadrewws 17 Apr 2012 6:12PM GMT 
NevCoCalGal 23 Apr 2012 3:48AM GMT 
loisames68 28 Jun 2013 2:38PM GMT 
per page