Search for content in message boards

Seeking volunteer for Orange County, California vital records

Replies: 9

Re: Seeking volunteer for Orange County, California vital records

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 10:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jan 2013 10:18AM GMT
Thanks for the information. Yep, you have to try many avenues to get obits sometimes. Sometimes it's a real challenge! I've been doing genealogy research for about 30 years and anybody thinking it is going to be free is sadly mistaken. Some libraries will look them up for you but that is not a priority so they depend on volunteers to do it on their assigned days..Some libraries charge a copy fee and request a SASE and I can certainly understand the cost and time involved as I have spent hours looking them up myself on microfisch/microfilm for myself. It is very time consuming. One Pa. Library asks for a donation to the Library..which is what I have been doing. I consider the labor time spent and the cost of the copy. I find that they will volunteer to help when they know you make regular donations to their library or Historical or genealogical society. Now with modern technology, they can be scanned and sent via email. I plan to visit this specific library the next time I'm there and personally meet the reference librarian and Thank her and her assistants. Sometimes if volunteers won't accept money in exchange for looking up obits/death notices, and they have looked up a lot for me, I will offer to send them a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant that they frequent.

If anybody needs an obit/death notice from The Washington Post from Washington,DC..contact me and I'll look it up for them.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BESHENOUR 17 Dec 2012 3:08AM GMT 
Tim Cattron 29 Dec 2012 7:24PM GMT 
BESHENOUR 7 Jan 2013 4:00AM GMT 
Tim Cattron 7 Jan 2013 1:43PM GMT 
BESHENOUR 7 Jan 2013 2:23PM GMT 
BESHENOUR 7 Jan 2013 2:27PM GMT 
Tim Cattron 7 Jan 2013 3:39PM GMT 
gmckenz53 7 Jan 2013 3:47PM GMT 
gmckenz53 7 Jan 2013 4:07PM GMT 
BESHENOUR 7 Jan 2013 5:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions