Search for content in message boards

Mary Williams aka 'Kate Carew"

Replies: 3

Mary Williams aka 'Kate Carew"

Posted: 1 Jan 2004 10:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Apr 2004 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: Williams Chambers Reed Simpson Gluyas
I'm looking for any and all information concerning Mary Williams aka "Kate Carew" who grew up in Placer Co., particularly her siblings, husbands, and progeny.
Here's a thumbnail sketch of what I have concerning Mary...

Mary Williams (pseudonym "Kate Carew") was born 06/27/1869 in Oakland, CA. Daughter of Robert Neil Williams, a mining engineer, and Virginia Gluyas, Mary attended San Francisco School of Design. In 1889 she worked as one of seventeen staff illustrators for the San Francisco Examiner. By 1890 she and her husband Harrie Kellett Chambers had moved to New York where Mary landed a position with Joseph Pulitzer's New York World (The New York Globe) providing illustrated interviews with caricatures of the rich and famous which she signed "Kate Carew."
Kate Carew's caricatures and interviews became so popular, in 1901 Pulitzer sent her to Europe for a series of interviews titled "Kate Carew Abroad." After a divorce, Mary moved to London in 1911 and worked with The Patrician and The Tatler. After the start of World War I, she returned to America and continued working for American newspapers including the New York Tribune.
By the late 1920s, her health and eyesight were fading, and she returned to California to devote herself to fine art. Kate Carew was married three times, to a journalist, a playwright and a British Lord. She died 02/11/1961in Monterey, at the age of 91.

I only have her married twice, to Mr. Chambers, and a John Reed (she also was a painter, and signed her paintings "Mary Reed")

Thanks for any and all help!

Jeff
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MajorWilliams... 1 Jan 2004 5:06PM GMT 
christinecham... 9 Feb 2008 10:28PM GMT 
toth_meg 18 Jul 2012 8:28PM GMT 
christinecham... 27 Mar 2014 2:32AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions