Search for content in message boards

Black/Indian from R.I. Prince Bent

Replies: 21

Re: Black/Indian from R.I. Prince Bent

Posted: 11 Jan 2014 3:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
I will try to help with this. I am intrigued because the Narragansett tribe shares some surnames with my family and I wanted to figure out if there was a relationship. There isnt, but I wanted to know.

Lydia could have been Prince Jr's mother as well. Actually, like father like son because there is a Lucy A Bent who claims her father as Prince Bent and someone named Margaret Peckham. She was living with her husband in MA at the time. Go back a bit and you find her living with the Sambo family in Hopkinton. It seems like a habit that slave families took their father's first name as a last name. The Sambo in question was also a RI regiment guy, but not Lucy Bent's father. Maybe a youthful indiscretion and adoptive family?

Also there is a Jacob Bent listed we cant figure out who he is, but it is consistent with being Prince Bent Sr's kid.

I probably should say this here, but try FamilySearch.org, it is free and run by the Mormons. They are the ones who developed the GEDCOM base and I found my great great great great grandfather who was a mystery prior. Lead me to his father, Revolutionary War Soldier and chaplain Paris Gardiner.

Are you Narragansett? Perry is a common name for them. Also Nannie Stanton's sister was a Perry, the one she was living with later in life. The Perry's are the Oliver Hazard Perry-same family ton of them in South Kingstown. But like I said the way that name entered the Narragansetts was probably an ex slave named Perry.

I have got a tree for the Bents...let me see what I can find out.

I am trying to write book on RI regiment, that is my interest in the whole shooting match.

I have been to a Narragansett Powwow, many people are mixed with African American. That is why they had trouble getting tribal recognition, I believe, because so many are mixed.That is the same for the Shinnecock. That is a stupid reason, but I think that was used as an excused.

Also I examined the Betsy Cuffee connection, possibly to Paul Cuffee from Cuttyhunk, you know the black ship owner. She would have to be an older sister and his family is well documented. She could be from "New Guinea" in Nantucket, or named from a man named Cuffee who was freed. For all we know, she could be one of the RI Regiment daughters. They were all freed, I have checked after war.

Like I said I was just checking up on Hannah S Gardiner buried in tribal churchyard. But she isnt mine, who is a white Quaker. Mine is Hannah Slocum Gardiner, not Sekatur or Stanton.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Numbic1 11 Jan 2014 6:53PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 11 Jan 2014 10:53PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 11 Jan 2014 10:59PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 12 Jan 2014 12:57AM GMT 
jeff5058 11 Jan 2014 8:22PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 11 Jan 2014 10:32PM GMT 
jeff5058 11 Jan 2014 10:57PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 2 Jan 2014 2:28AM GMT 
jeff5058 1 Oct 2009 8:58PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 11 Jan 2014 10:23PM GMT 
per page