Search for content in message boards

Black/Indian from R.I. Prince Bent

Replies: 21

Re: Black/Indian from R.I. Prince Bent

Posted: 11 Jan 2014 5:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Jan 2014 9:34AM GMT
Surnames: bent, gardiner, west, soule, hutchinson, williams, dyer
Okey doke, now I remember. I had Abby written down but it is Julia Ann Bent Pearce, born 1824. I got it from this family tree ---sorry, just look for Julia A, it is something like the Perry Warren Johnson tree....she is listed there as being Prince jr and Nancy Stanton's daughter, so that makes her Jacob Perry Bent's sister and Jacob Perry's granddaughter. LIke I said Jacob Perry Bent might have dumped the Bent part because his parents were already separated. Seems to be the way with the Narragansetts.

I kind of think someone may have skipped a generation thought...Prince Bent Jr was born 1783, so what is he having kids up to 1840? It is possible though. In another black / Indian family--Patience Dodge and Albert Peckham she was 20 years younger and outlived him.

I also think Prince Senior had at least three other children, Jacob, Issac, and Jennie. I found them in the RI Census vs. the Federal. Abby conceivably could be one of their kids because of her birth date. There are also two "mystery bents:---Jesse and Prince Stanton Bent (Prince number III) who were "warned" our of Stonington and appear in California in the 1870s. I think they might actually be other kids who took a pseudonym for protection. Like maybe L Stanton Bent or J. Edward Bent who dont have any RI descendants.

I may have misunderstood you up there but the tie is Nancy Stanton Bent, aka Nannie Perry, aka Nannie Stanton, is the tie there.

What you may want to find out that could be interesting is Titus Peirce, another one of the black RI regiment guys ended up in Northern Connecticut. I have a feeling these guys kind of stuck together, and also there is the fact that there just were not that many free black families back then (175 in the 1774 RI Census total) so they knew each other well and often intermarried.

These guys were probably hot tickets back then. They were free, they were Revolutionary War soldiers and they had pensions. Prince Senior also applied for the Land Bounty which Quam Tanner and York Champlin actually did get.

I also think the intermarrying with the Narragansetts was a natural as forget marrying white at that time, you could definitely marry black but slavery was still being gradually phased out in RI at the end of the war and marrying an enslaved woman might have been a drag---you could never see each other or maybe even live as man and wife. If you married Indian you married someone with land and there was safety in numbers and identity. The rez down there is still pretty isolated off in the woods...it was safe.

I found out only this month, through my Swamp Yankee grandma I am descended from:

William West, Brigadier General Revolutionary War - Newport Command
Paris Gardiner, Rev. War soldier
George Gardiner, Newport 1638
Infamous Quaker "heretic" Herodias Gardiner
George Soule ---the Mayflower
Roger Williams (through Anne Dyer)
Nathanial and the other Greenes (ditto) and
Ann Hutchinson through marriage of her granddaughter to a Dyer. Head is spinning.
Also lots of them were Quakers, which I like. I am researching different family lines--- I am twice descended from Benoni Gardiner, son of George, which is good because I think they stayed more Quaker and that prevented them from owning slaves which the sons of William Gardiner and Nathaniel did. One even was a sea captain that trafficked and man did I not want to be related to him. The slaves the OTHER Gardiners owned probably married into the Narragansetts, such as Cudgo (Kojo) or Cuff (Kofi) Gardner from the RI Regiment.

There were so few people then you pretty much end up being related to everyone because they intermarried.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Numbic1 11 Jan 2014 6:53PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 11 Jan 2014 10:53PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 11 Jan 2014 10:59PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 12 Jan 2014 12:57AM GMT 
jeff5058 11 Jan 2014 8:22PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 11 Jan 2014 10:32PM GMT 
jeff5058 11 Jan 2014 10:57PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 2 Jan 2014 2:28AM GMT 
jeff5058 1 Oct 2009 8:58PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 11 Jan 2014 10:23PM GMT 
per page