Search for content in message boards

Black/Indian from R.I. Prince Bent

Replies: 21

Re: Black/Indian from R.I. Prince Bent

Posted: 8 Jan 2014 12:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gardiner, Bent, Peckham
Hi there, thanks so much for your reply. Is an oath of protection like a restraining order?

I put some thought into it...I did find Prince Bent in Hopkinton living with alternately 11 and 7 people. I think Issac was his son, and that he had other children not recorded. Prince Senior had a first wife, Lydia and a daughter by her, Cordelia Case. Also it looks as if Prince Jr had another daughter, Lucinda Bent who appears in Hopkinton living with the Sambo family, another RI regiment family. She later married and moved to MA, identifying Margaret Peckham and Prince Bent as her parents.

Anyway, there is a BENT family geneaology which mentions Prince, in conjunction with his white owner. The info was totally incomplete, as was in several referring to my family. They leave out kids who are not born yet, etc. I'll send you the stuff I have in a bit.

I just found out I am descended from William West the Newport Revolutionary War General and George Soule, Mayflower descendent. I am kind of in shock today. But it gets weirder, because my great great grandmother, Hannah Slocum had a brother whose family was massacred by the Delaware Indians but raised the youngest daughter, Ruth, as their own. She married the chief of the Miami tribe (small tribe, Ohio) and her descendents are Native American.

Also a Hannah Slocum of the same age appears on the Narragansett rolls of 1881. So if you know anything about Narragansett genealogy help would be appreciated. Also there are Peckhams in my family and I know about Night Hawk, Phillip H. Peckham. Any help with this greatly appreciated. There are Gardiners too in the Charlestown cemetery.

Once again thanks for your help. Where did you find the oath of protection?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jeff5058 30 Sep 2009 1:06PM GMT 
MarilynDingma... 30 Sep 2009 3:01PM GMT 
MarilynDingma... 30 Sep 2009 3:03PM GMT 
jeff5058 30 Sep 2009 5:32PM GMT 
MarilynDingma... 4 Oct 2009 12:02AM GMT 
jeff5058 4 Oct 2009 12:28AM GMT 
MarilynDingma... 4 Oct 2009 8:45PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 2 Jan 2014 2:25AM GMT 
jeff5058 2 Jan 2014 11:53PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 8 Jan 2014 7:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions