Search for content in message boards

Black/Indian from R.I. Prince Bent

Replies: 21

Re: Black/Indian from R.I. Prince Bent

Posted: 1 Jan 2014 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BENT PECKHAM
Hi I am researching the Bent family in conjunction with Prince Bent, of RI Regiment. (Senior)

This is really a head scratcher for me, but I found John Bent living in Stonington around the right time with two small boys, he was born around 1796 and worked on the crew of the Acasta. This is the right timing for Jesse if he was born 1823 or so. Stonington is right over the line from RI and not far from the Charlestown reservation. Cant find anything at all about him except that.

BUT, and this is really tempting, there was Lucy Sylvester in Malden Mass who claimed both Prince Bent Junior and someone named Margaret Peckham as her mother. She listed Charlestown 1824 as her place of birth. 1824-1823 is before the birth of Prince's children with Nancy Stanton, so she may have been a first wife? I do know Phillip H. Peckham is Night Hawk Peckham and Peckham is one of the most common names down there.

Prince Bent also seemed to have a first wife, a woman named Lydia. His next wife, Prince's mother was Betsey Cuffee, which leads me to wonder if she was a Shinnecock. The Shinnecock and the Narragansett are pretty closely related. She also could have been from Nantucket.

If you dont mind me asking how do you know they were "warned" out of Stonington? Because John Bent had two small boys in 1830, so yes they could have been Prince and Jesse. I cant find Prince Senior having any other surviving children besides Prince Jr, although his sister Martha might have made it.

It also makes me think, if they were in real trouble in Stonington, they might have assumed pseudonyms in California. Also, the white Bents cease to exist very early because John Bent (Prince's owner) only had daughters.

Prince is a name given only to slaves as a first name in this time period.... and John in Stonington was mixed race. Am going crazy over this one!

I am a Gardiner-Peckham but grew up in Pawtucket, live NYC

Any help you could give me would be great !
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jeff5058 30 Sep 2009 1:06PM GMT 
MarilynDingma... 30 Sep 2009 3:01PM GMT 
MarilynDingma... 30 Sep 2009 3:03PM GMT 
jeff5058 30 Sep 2009 5:32PM GMT 
MarilynDingma... 4 Oct 2009 12:02AM GMT 
jeff5058 4 Oct 2009 12:28AM GMT 
MarilynDingma... 4 Oct 2009 8:45PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 2 Jan 2014 2:25AM GMT 
jeff5058 2 Jan 2014 11:53PM GMT 
sarah partrid... 8 Jan 2014 7:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions