Search for content in message boards

Max Mueller 1856-?

Replies: 14

Re: Max Mueller 1856-?

Posted: 24 Aug 2013 10:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Article in 1905 San Francisco Call shows name of Max Mueller's sister-- Bertha Puschel:

REVENGE, CRIMINAL'S PURPOSE

Angry Lawbreaker Calls at Residences.

Sacramento People Disturbed by Reports.

Special Dispatch to The Call.

SACRAMENTO, July 29.— Ever since the report was given out that Convict P. M. Gordon known as "Red *J Shirt, ' and another escape whose idenfty was not disclosed, had left their fellow conspirators and were headed for Sacramento, much alarm has been felt by the country people in this vicinity, and they have been watching: for the appearance of one or both of the fugitives. The report reached the Police Department at a late hour this afternoon that a f trance man answering the description of Gordon appeared near Perkins Station, a few miles east of this city, secured food and then mysteriously disappeared. The Incident caused quite a sensation in the neighborhood. The Call correspondent to-night visited the scene of the appearance of the strange man and found that the subject had greatly agitated the people of the locality. Max Mueller, who conducts a blacksmith chop on the M-street road, said the man appeared at the house of his sister. "Mrs. Bertha Puschel, this morning and received food. He asked for more and carefully placed it in his pocket as if he intended it for another. Mrs. Puschel became alarmed at the man's. strange and haunted look and called to her brother from his shop.

When Mueller responded the strange man squated down on the steps as If to conceal his height. Mueller turned his back for a minute and the man, unnoticed, fled. Mueller followed his footsteps and when he got to the top of a knoll he saw the strange man running away in the distance. The locality is close to the American River bottom and Mueller thinks the man sought the brush near the river. His description agrees with that of Gordon. Yesterday two strange men called at the house of Mrs. J. L. Holmes and demanded a drink of water and also asked the time of day. The rough appearance of the men and their strange actions alarmed Mrs. Holmes and she notified Constable J. H. Donnelly of Folsom. The Constable organized a posse and set out on the trail of the two men. but failed to find them. This morning the same men were seen near Perkins, which is six miles from Sacramento. They called at a farmhouse and asked for breakfast and then proceeded in the direction of Sacramento. Officers have been on the lookout for the men, no trace, of them has been reported up to this evening. Mrs. Holmes was seen this afternoon and she made the following statement: .ASKED FOR THE TIME.

"It was at 3 o'clock yesterday when I was in front of our place. This house where we live is called Placerville switch, as the trains switch here for that point. The two men were coming over the hill toward my place and the railroad track. I was very anxious to get some news of my husband, who is out with the posses. When the men came up to me they demanded a drink of water and wanted to know the time. They told me to go quick and find out what time It was. I gave them the water and then they started to walk back in the direction they had come from. Then they turned round and proceded toward the track and the wagon road.

"Before they got to the corner where the road turns I was surprised to see them crawl under the barb wire fence and get into the orchard. They crossed the orchard and disappeared. I thought It was very strange that they should have crawled under the fence instead of walking on the main road which runs alongside the orchards. That is why I notified the officers. "One of 'he men wore a guard's coat and the other had on a khaki coat. They wore a mixed lot of clothes. There was nothing regular about their clothing. They had something bulky under their clothes, and from the way they walked it seemed as if they had rifles hidden. It looked as if the barrels of the guns were put down their trousers and the butts of the rifles were under their coats."

Mrs. Holmes *as again shown the photographs of the escaped convicts and she readily picked out the photographs of "Red Shirt" Gordon and Theron. It is quite possible for Theron to have comeback from El Dorado and joined Gordon yesterday in the vicinity of Folsom. The officers of Sacramento are keeping a sharp watch for Gordon on account of his threats to murder Superior Judge Hart, who sentenced him to forty-five years in Folsom prison.

San Francisco Call 7/30/1903

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
juliusmckenzi... 6 Aug 2013 3:47AM GMT 
a1oilman 6 Aug 2013 5:08AM GMT 
a1oilman 6 Aug 2013 5:49AM GMT 
juliusmckenzi... 6 Aug 2013 6:27AM GMT 
a1oilman 6 Aug 2013 10:57PM GMT 
sandrabordelo... 25 Aug 2013 3:57AM GMT 
sandrabordelo... 25 Aug 2013 4:03AM GMT 
sandrabordelo... 25 Aug 2013 4:31AM GMT 
juliusmckenzi... 25 Aug 2013 6:14AM GMT 
a1oilman 25 Aug 2013 8:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions