Search for content in message boards

Ogden Highway Gang - Jesse L. Ogden, d. 1867

Replies: 1

Ogden Highway Gang - Jesse L. Ogden, d. 1867

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 3:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ogden, Burke, Chamberlain, Adams, Wilkins, Cummings, Townsend
While searching for information on someone in one of my family lines, Jesse L. Ogden, b. 27 Jan 1837, Michigan, who moved with his family to Wisconsin about 1846, I came across the following newspaper article from the Sacramento Daily Union.

Sacramento Daily Union [newspaper], Sacramento, California, May 11, 1867, Volume 33, Number 5030, Page 3, Column 1, City Intelligence column

http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SDU18670511.2.12&...-----

The Ogden Highway Gang.— ln Thursday's issue we gave an account, taken from the Sonora Democrat, of the death of Jesse L. Ogden, near Coulterville, Mariposa county. Ogden's companions alleged that the shooting was accidental, but there was strong ground for believing that he was murdered by his companions. The party was stated to have started out from Sacramento. From Chief Burke and officer Chamberlin we have received some information in relation to these men which may be of service to the Sheriffs and police officers of the State generally. Ogden— the dead man — Al. or Ike Adams and George Wilkins were members of the gang of desperate men who have so long infested the vicinity of Folsom, in this county, robbing Chinamen and others. The above named officers have, for a long time, had information in their possession implicating them, but for want of the necessary cash were unable to make up a case against them and bring them to justice. These three men left this city a few weeks ago, mounted and armed, for a raid upon some portion of the State, and the first information received from them is the death of Ogden. Adams and Ogden were the parties who robbed the safe, of the Ditch Company at the Western House, in this county, some months ago. There has been bad blood between the two ever since about a division of the spoils. The Chinese of Moccasin creek are not mistaken as to these men being the parties who robbed tbem, and the Chinamen of this county could truthfully substantiate their statements, Tom Cummings, one of the same gang, was sent to San Quentin for five years at the last term of our County Court for horse stealing. Bill Townsend, another one, has just been indicted by the Grand Jury for burglary. Ogden is dead, and it is to be hoped that Adams and Wilkins will never show their faces again in this county. The people of Folsom and vicinity should feel grateful for the dispersion of this band of cut-throats, who were so long a terror to that community.
+++

Note: The "Thursday's issue" mentioned in the above article would have been May 9, 1867, as May 11, 1867 was a Saturday.

I don't know if the Jesse L. Ogden mentioned in the above article was the Jesse L. Ogden in my family line. I did find an 1860 Kansas Territory newspaper article about a Jesse Ogden who was a suspected mule thief near Denver (now in Colorado) in the Kansas Territory. That newspaper article mentioned that Jesse Ogden was from Wisconsin, so I think the suspected mule thief was "my" Jesse Ogden. He may have continued his law breaking ways and moved on to California. I also found an 1860 Kansas Territory (Russel's Gulch, which is in present-day Colorado, not far from Denver) for a J. Ogden, whom I believe is the same person who was sought as a mule thief. I have not found any information on anyone I think is "my" Jesse L. Ogden in any 1870 census record.

I have not been able to find any early Sacramento, Mariposa County, or other California county newspaper articles that mentioned the Ogden Highway Gang.

I am posting this message in case others are searching for information on one of the gang members and finds more information on Jesse L. Ogden, too.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jdelauche 26 Sep 2013 9:16PM GMT 
jdelauche 27 Sep 2013 2:01AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic