Search for content in message boards

Ole Nelson, Oakland, California

Replies: 12

Re: Ole Nelson, Oakland, California

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 11:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Jon.

I found some things you might be interested in seeing. I'm going to try to scan them today and get them to you. Would it make sense to email them to you as an attachment? My email address is linbenedek@yahoo.com, if it's easier to contact me directly. I will try to post them here as well but am not sure how that's done. Just let me know. I have a few documents and a copy of the article about Ole. The documents are not great xerox copies so I'm not sure how well they will scan. They were given to me in 1986 by Cousin Ted, Tom's son, Ole's grandson, up on Silver Mtn. There's a letter in Norwegian from the priest attesting to Ole's good character. There's one signed by Ole and the heading at the top reads Fogden i Nordhordlangs og Vos Fogderie. I'm going to need to learn some Norwegian. I'm impressed that you know some. There's a section describing him, I think, if Oine and Haar mean eyes and hair??? And there's a letter from a guide whom Ted and Peg met in Norway sharing what she'd learned about Ole. She thought that Ole's twin was a boy. She writes:

"Your relation Ole Nelson who emigrated in 1857 to the USA was a twin--his brother named Guro--born 27 April 1834. The twins were baptised in Voss. Parents Nils Gundersen Grimastad and Magli Mikkelsdtr., who lived on Opkvitne at that time. The twins were confirmed 30 september 1849 (the priest noticed that they had good knowledge and were good at wrighting). The parents lived in 1849 on the farm Mossefinn and they also used this name. Niels and Magli were smallholders and lived the place Nedre Molen under Mossefinn till they died-- Magli in 1867 and Niels in the year 1875."

Two other things. Ole's name in the docs has the third name as Utqvitne. And the article says they were born in Bullken, Norway. Does that make sense?

I read Guro's obit and was touched to read about her. She sounds like a wonderful woman. I noticed in the census records that she went by the name Julia Nelson. Did she change her name when she got to the US?

More soon.

Lin
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LindaBenedek 11 Feb 2009 11:37PM GMT 
JonPaulson195... 13 Feb 2009 11:54AM GMT 
LindaBenedek 14 Feb 2009 6:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions