Search for content in message boards

Diamond Jack Alterie (Uncle Leland A. Varain) of Sweetwater Ranch, CO

Replies: 46

Diamond Jack Alterie (Uncle Leland A. Varain) of Sweetwater Ranch, CO

Fred Hewston (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2003 9:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Varain, Alterie, Rossi, Brown, Northrop
I grew up knowing the Aunts Varain (Ida, Hazel and Edie--Nellie had died before I was born) but I never knew my grandmother also had the two rather notorious sons Albert "Bert" and Leland "Diamond Jack Alterie".

My grandmother Mary Lincoln Brown was born May 7, 1863 in California (probabaly in San Joaquin Co, CA). Her father (Brown) must have died in the next few years and her mother (maiden name Smith) remarrieda Northrop, as in her obituary we find mention of her half-sister Margaret Northrop Blades (wife of Jerry Blades)

Grandmother Mary's first husband (they wed 1880) was the cowboy Charles Varain born in Mariposa Co, CA, and ranching in next door Merced Co most of his adult life. Mary next wed Jack A Lane about 1913, originally born in Philadelphia,PA, but moved to California sometime before 1913. My mother, Dorothy Edith Lane was born in 1914 in the greater Los Angeles area (the family is known to have lived in Pasadena and Long Beach, per 1920 and 1930 censuses).

The Frontier Musuem Archivist, Willa Soncarty, has copied for me several Glenwood Post articles about Diamond Jack Alterie as well as getting records of the Abstract of Title prepared for the Sweetwater Ranch. I am interested in any additional information about my Uncle Leland "Lee" Varain or his brother Albert "Bert" Varain. Uncle Leland wed first briefly Mabel Hays of Colorado and later Irma Rossi (who may have been from Colorado as well?)

Diamond Jack Alterie (Uncle Leland Varain) died, mudered in Chicago, by rival gangsters. He brought Al Capone and others of the rival O'Bannion gang to Colorado resorts and his Sweetwater Ranch.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Fred Hewston 13 Aug 2003 3:50PM GMT 
Jim Gisburne 25 Dec 2003 3:57AM GMT 
cleo 13 Apr 2004 4:27PM GMT 
gwittusen 14 Oct 2011 1:19AM GMT 
gwittusen 22 Oct 2011 12:10AM GMT 
fhewston 22 Oct 2011 1:06AM GMT 
michaeldigili... 6 Apr 2012 4:37AM GMT 
gwittusen 6 Apr 2012 12:11PM GMT 
fhewston 12 Jun 2012 2:49AM GMT 
Randy Varain 5 Apr 2004 6:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions