Search for content in message boards

Hiatts in Cripple Creek

Replies: 4

Hiatts in Cripple Creek

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 6:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Feb 2012 6:54AM GMT
Surnames: Hiatte; Hiatt; Puckett
I am in need of a lot of help. I am not sure where to go to next.
I am looking for Dan Hiatte/Hiatt who was born about 1872 in Missouri. His wife was Ethel Puckett of Colorado and they had a daughter, Hazel Louise Hiatt who was born on January 8, 1898 in Aspen, Colorado. I am actually assuming that Dan is the name of Hazel's father. Other genealogists have stated so but I have yet to find any information myself and have not been able to actually contact these genealogists to ask them what their source information is.

In 1900, Ethel and her daughter were with her mother and stepfather in Cripple Creek, Teller, Colorado. It is according to this census that Hazel's father is from Missouri. Ethel is listed as married but I am wondering if her husband had died shortly thereafter. I do not know his parents' names so I can't find him for sure in the 1880 Census. I have tried to find a record of Hazel's father somewhere but have found dead ends.

I am wondering if he was killed in the Labor Wars that were occurring around this time. The Colorado Labor Wars began in 1903 and Cripple Creek had a conflict that started as early as the mid to late 1890s. Several miners died in this conflict. I don't know if he was a miner, but Cripple Creek as I understand it was a mining town, so it is a possibility. To be sure I would have to find someplace that had a list of casualties or members of the union back then, the Western Federation of Miners. I have tried to look into this theory but have yet to find anything. Any help in the right direction would be helpful.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bdlarsen12257... 1 Feb 2012 1:41AM GMT 
paigefrank77 1 Feb 2012 3:21AM GMT 
bdlarsen12257... 1 Feb 2012 4:09AM GMT 
martanorton1 8 Feb 2012 1:00AM GMT 
bdlarsen12257... 8 Feb 2012 1:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions