Search for content in message boards

Jerusalem District, New Milford,CT

Replies: 12

Re: Jerusalem District, New Milford,CT

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 5:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Margaret,

Our thoughts must be in the winds today. First Diane and I just happen to meet on the boards again today, then I hear from you :-) I was just thinking about you the other day because I finally received the Death Certificate for George W. Ett (father of Ernest H.) and wondered whether you would want a copy. I just posted it on Ancestry if you want it. My Dad remembers that George was a short but powerful man, had a handlebar mustache, wore a gold pocket watch on a gold chain every Sunday, worked on Dodd Farm in the Pickett District for many years and loved his Clydesdale horses like his children.

I just spoke to my dad about his memories of the Cassidy name in NM and here is what he said:

"Yes, of course. Cassidy's store was on Bank Street. As I remember, it was originally called Dolan's and Mr. Cassidy either owned part or worked as the "manager". At some point it was just Cassidy's. I bought my first guitar and BB gun from him. He was one of the first businesses to offer a lay-away program. Of course, in those days (late'30's - early 40's)) it wasn't called lay away. Mr. Cassidy just said he would hold your item in the back until you paid for it, making you promise to pay a little something every week. It was much like a department store and you went in often because he always had new things for sale. It was the place everyone went, especially after church, to buy newspapers - including the New York Times."

My brother, also a NM lifetime resident, is somewhat of a historian and enjoys researching the town. He told me that the fire you mentioned is most likely the Great Fire of 1902. Apparently, it started on Railroad Street and the winds swept the fire right up Bank Street. Because all of the building were wooden, they went up fast. He said to tell you that there are some great picsof Bank Street on Google images. You will see that Bank Street is very steep, starting at the top at Main Street and ending at the bottom on Railroad Street. It's not hard to imagine that fire would roar right up the road.

Dotti
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Diane Hassan 13 Jul 2012 9:52PM GMT 
wrmykin 13 Jul 2012 10:01PM GMT 
drado_1 13 Jul 2012 11:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions