Search for content in message boards

Moulthrop samplers early 19th century

Replies: 0

Moulthrop samplers early 19th century

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 3:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moulthrop, Moultrop, Bissell, Beach, Wright
My cousin has a sampler worked some time in the early 19th century by a Melinda Moultroup. It is about 9 inches square and the inscription cross stitched on it reads “Melinda Moultroup was born aPril the 27 1809” .

My brother has a very similar sampler; the inscription on this reads “Maryann Moultrop July the 8 1820 ad”.

Both these samplers came through our grandmother with close family associations to Litchfield County, but we cannot find a direct link to the Moultrop family or explain why we have these articles in our possession. Our grandmother was Sarah Maria Beach (b. 1895), who married Henry Harmon Edwards (b. 1891). Henry’s mother was Cornelia Bissell (b. 1854), daughter of Henry Benton Bissell (b. 1814) and Clarissa Maria Wright (b. 1818).

I believe that the Melinda Moultrop is the daughter of William and Mary Moulthrop, and that she is buried with them in Headquarters Cemetery, Litchfield County.

I cannot identify Maryann Moultrop.

Does anyone know what this connection might be ?

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions