Search for content in message boards

Thomas Cain Turner / Sarah E Harris

Replies: 1

Thomas Cain Turner / Sarah E Harris

Posted: 11 Oct 2006 10:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
My Turners are as follows, which I realize is not much at all:

Thomas Cain Turner b August 1860 per US census 1900 Abbott Precinct,Pasco County, Florida -Family 265
His is listed in that census as being a Teamster with:
Roberta (wife) b Aug 1864 in Georgia with both parents born in Georgia. Both list 13 years of marriage. Roberta lists as having 5 children with 4 living. Children listed are:

Bonnie (son)May 1886 Georgia age 14
Virgil (son) b December 1890 Georgia
Perry (son) b May 1893 Florida ( my grandfather)
Charles (son) July 1897 Florida

From the fact they both state they have been married 13 years and the oldest son, Bonnie, is 14 he is a child from a previous marriage or was born to them before their marriage. Sometimes I find him as Bonnie sometimes as Bennie.

The sons WW1 enlistment/military papers state they were born in Macon, Georgia. I have yet to find them in a census there or find any marriage/birth records.

From the 1900 census I conclude They moved from Georgia between December 1890-May 1893. By 1910 census Thomas is not listed with these children and the mother's name is now (and on all later findings including city directories) listed as Sarah.

1910 Polk County FL census
1910 Florida POLK LAKELAND Series: T624 Roll: 167 Page: 157

Sarah 49 none (3-4 years younger than the Roberta listed in 1900)
Bonnie 21 Baggageman with Railroad
Virgil 19 Flagman with railroad
Perry 16 Trucking? Now Listed as being born in Georgia instead of Florida.
Charlie 11 no occupation
All born in Ga except Charlie in Fl.

In the 1915 Lakeland, Polk County, Florida city directory, Sarah is listed as the widow of Thomas C with Virgil O., James Perry, living with her. Also listed as renting in that address were Berney R. (Idell) as baggageman, Inez I Turner.

The 1920 census is SO messed up but it is the right family.

1920;Census Place: Lakeland Ward 1, Polk, Florida; Roll: T625_227; Page: 7B; Enumeration District: 164; Image: 675.

This family is listed by ANCESTRY as :

Barny Bonnie 34
Idella Bonnie 31
Martha Samis 54
Virgil Samis 28
Perry Samis 24
Charlie Samis 21

You can actually see that the name for Martha is Harris but they transcribe things as they see fit at times. :) All I can figure is he heard them trying to say Barney with some accent or drawl. From the fact the boys are called brother in laws instead of brothers I think Idella gave the information. That might account for the Harris name for Martha, Sarah, Roberta or whoever she was this year.

1930; Census Place: Lakeland, Polk, Florida; Roll: 331; Page: 9B; Enumeration District: 78; Image: 276.0.

Turner, Perry
Birthplace: Florida Roll: T626_331
Race: White Page: 9B
State: Florida ED: 78
County: Polk Image: 0276
Township: Lakeland

Perry Turner 34
Vesta Turner 27
Dan Turner 3
Baby Turner 1 5/12
Vergil Turner 36

James Perry Turner b. May 27, 1892, d September 11, 1944, in Pinellas County, FL in the VA hospital. He married Minnie Vesta Ward Sherouse on July 30, 1924, in Kissimmee, Osceola County, Florida. Vesta was the daughter of Jonathan Zeno WARD of Whiteville, NC and Minnie Ethyl Suggs of Horry County, SC. Vesta was first married to Cecil Leo Sherouse b March 12, 1902 in

Dade City, Pasco County, Florida and they had one child Cecil Leo Jr who died at age nine. Cecil Sr. died June 1960 in Hernando County, Fl.

James Perry Turner died in 1944 in the VA hosiptal in Pinellas County, Florida but was buried in Linden, Florida according to the funeral home. At least they say his body was shipped there and there were graveside service held for him in Linden Cemetery. I have not been able to find him in any cemetery there although the people from Linden Cemetery group say there are unmarked graves there as well as some which were covered by a road. He is purported to have been full blooded Creek. From his pictures he does look
Native American.

Children of James Perry Turner and Vesta Minnie Ward Suggs Sherouse:
**George Daniel Turner b.22, Feb 1926 in Lakeland, Florida, married to Annette (Feaster). They divorced and he later moved and died March 22, 1988, in Ottumwa, Wapello County, IA.

**James Clay Turner, b.23 Sept. 1928 married Shirley Sexton from Georgia. They lived in Lakeland, Polk County, Florida.

**Bonita Ethlynd Turner b. 11 November 1932 in Perry, Florida. Bonita married first Charles.F. Hylander. He was in the Air Force.

He cannot be found either after this point. One son. She secondly married Frank Marion Miles in Polk County, Florida. They had one daughter. They divorced when the child was less than a year old. Bonita died November 19, 1961 of lung cancer in Bartow County,

Florida. Note for Frank Manion Miles:
b. October 13, 1922, d May 30, 1980, Lakeland, Polk County, Florida Twin of Francis Manion Miles. Also brother to Walter,

Coretta Mae, Doretta Georgia. Their parents were Jefferson Davis Miles and Lillie Mae Kinney. parents of Jefferson David Miles are

James T. Miles and Theodocia Norton of Georgia. James T is the son of James Elijah Miles unknown spouse.

Sarah Turner obit in Lakeland Ledger January 18, 1934
obtained from film at Lakeland Public library
Lakeland, Polk County, Florida

Funeral is held for Mrs. Turner

Funeral Services for Mrs. Sarah Turner who died early Tuesday at Morrell Memorial Hospital, were held yesterday afternoon from Smith and Dukes funeral home with Rev C.E. Wyatt of the First Christian Church officiating. Interment was held at Roselawn

Cemetery.

Pallbearers were A.L. Dorman, A.L. Bulger, S.E. Eades, G. Z. Coleman, Terry T. Jones, B.B. Manchett.

On Sarah''s death certificate it says she was born August 11, 1873 in Griffin, Georgia. She died in Polk County Florida Jan 16, 1934.

Her parents were William H Harris and Roberta unknown. She is listed as being the widow of T.C. Turner.

On the son's death certificates where it is known, the father's name is Thomas, Kane or Cain Turner. Sarah is always listed as Sarah E Harris.
The oldest son Barney Turner is listed as being born in Griffin Georgia on his death certificate.
Perry is listed as being born in Macon, Georgia and Virgil O is listed as just Georgia. Charles I have not found.

In the 1900 census they are in Pasco County, Florida. Sarah is listed as Roberta but the chilren are the same as in later census years.

From the sons WW1 enlisted/military papers they all list as being from Macon, Georgia excpet for the youngest, Charles A. Charles tried to enlist in WW! but was caught and released due to his being underage. As soon as he was old enough he re-enlisted.

Any help on this line is greatly appreciated
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Dor2Tyme 12 Oct 2006 4:04AM GMT 
Dor2Tyme 7 Apr 2014 2:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic