Search for content in message boards

Charles Burke

Replies: 0

Charles Burke

Posted: 2 May 2013 12:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Burke, Johnson, O'Connell
Hi!

I am researching my 2X great grandfather, Charles C. Burke, b abt 1829 in Sweden. I don’t know much about him, and nothing before 1861. He was a ships carpenter and living in Apalachicola, FL in 1861 when at age 32, he enlisted in the Confederate army. In 1870, he is married to Mary E. Johnson and living in Tampa, FL with three children, Charles J. (5), Anna M. (2) and John H. (3/12). Later records for Anna indicate she was born in Clearwater. In 1880, he, son Charles, and Anna are living in Pensacola. In 1900, Anna is married to John James O’Connell, son Charles is widowed and living with his sister, and John, Sr. isn’t found. I know lots about the descendents of John and Anna, but now I’m trying to work back.
The family says the Burke’s were Irish – the O’Connell’s certainly were – but census records indicate Charles Burke was born in Sweden. I do not understand much at this point about the surname Burke in Sweden and about Swedish immigration to the US, and to FL. Any light you could shed on this would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Denise

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions