Search for content in message boards

Children's homes in 1870-1880

Replies: 4

Re: Children's homes in 1870-1880

Posted: 12 May 2013 6:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
This happened quite often during the Great Depression also. My father in law was a child of the Depression who lost his father in infancy. The mother kept her two sons with her but put her daughter in a place to be raised by the nuns to make sure she would be cared for, fed, get an education, and protected from the streets and the people on them while she took work in a cigar factory for a time to make ends meet. She never remarried and the daughter never really returned home but was raised by the church though she visited home more frequently as she grew up and did eventually move back to Tampa and even worked here as a secretary until her marriage at age 21 in 1940.

I'm not sure of its exact location and all of those from that generation have passed on but I don't believe the place was actually in Tampa. I believe the children were "shipped out" to either a convent in north Florida or Orlando. At least that is what the stories I heard said.

Let me ask around and I will see what I can find out from my husband's sister who may remember more.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tanjiah 11 May 2013 10:04PM GMT 
mamkmm2 12 May 2013 12:25PM GMT 
tlchuck 12 May 2013 4:21PM GMT 
tlchuck 12 May 2013 4:25PM GMT 
tanjiah 13 May 2013 12:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions