Search for content in message boards

Home for Unwed mothers on lake, sponsered by Salvation Army

Replies: 10

Re: Home for Unwed mothers on lake, sponsered by Salvation Army

Posted: 20 May 2013 6:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Let me share with you my memories. My family moved to a house on Lake Ellen Lane, maybe 1970. I was in second grade and quite curious why so many girls walked our street. The "P" word was not spoken by kids in my family. I used to see the girls walking up and down the street and wonder about them and so I rode my bike beside them on many occasions. I befriended many of them. I must have asked a million questions; specifically I wanted to know where the dad was. Having both a dad and mom myself the lack of a father confused me. Finally I asked my mom and she enlightened me. I remember the day well because I started to cry. These kids wouldn't have a loving mom and dad like I had.

This event impacted my life. Many years later when I heard of the plight of the Cambodian orphans I knew I had to get involved. This great burden I felt for those mothers and kids years earlier had prepared me to say "here am I, I will go". My wife and I moved here to Cambodia in 2004 to oversee Bykota House www.bykotahouse.org where we care for 30 kids.

What gives me goosebumps even now is that while on a fundraising trip in 2008 I met one of the mothers and her daughter and son-in-law. You see, she chose to keep and raise her daughter in Tampa. She told me how she had lived in shame for so many years. Never in her life did she think her life had any impact past her own daughter.

The moral of the story is that God will use anything, even the things we think were mistakes. We don't know who might be watching and how these things will change others lives.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
J. Davis 18 Mar 2002 9:19PM GMT 
ima4zoloft_1 6 Sep 2002 3:27AM GMT 
TOM WARD 7 Sep 2002 12:55PM GMT 
cjacobsen77 13 Jan 2003 5:15AM GMT 
CarolineSims4... 6 Oct 2002 5:05PM GMT 
sharon 14 May 2005 12:22PM GMT 
CarolineSims4... 14 May 2005 5:51PM GMT 
sharon 14 May 2005 5:55PM GMT 
noel29611 20 Sep 2009 1:53PM GMT 
Benz_Mark49 21 May 2013 12:24AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions