Search for content in message boards

Searching for Norma born Sept 16 1918 who was supposedly in a Baptist Orphanage Arcadia Florida

Replies: 2

Re: Searching for Norma born Sept 16 1918 who was supposedly in a Baptist Orphanage Arcadia Florida

Posted: 6 Jan 2014 9:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GOLDEN, HATHAWAY, DE BOIS AND DUPREE
Sorry for late response. I am not so great at using Ancestry as a tool.
I am searching for the mother of my grandmother: NORMA GOLDEN, who went by the name GERALDINE GOLDEN from 1920 to her death in 1926. But it is either her maiden name, a factitious name, or the name Crosby Golden used when dodging his first wife (who he may not have been divorced from). His first wife's name was Serena Townsend GARDNER of Jacksonville, Fla. I don't know why my aunt's have HATHAWAY or DEBOIS or DU PRIE as other options for Geraldine's name. The census of 1920's says Geraldine was born in South Carolina and so were her parents. The Tampa Tribune articles say she was from New York and went back to New York per Norma's guardian when she left Norma with them.

Here's all the history I can give you. Norma Golden was my grandmother's birth name. Her mother and father are listed in the 1920 Census as Geraldine Golden along with her birth father AS CROSBY GOLDEN except he was actually Daniel Crosby Gardner. I can not find any marriage records for Norma's parents using any version of her/his names. He went on to marry a Mattie nee Keen, widow of Thomas Roan. They lived in Sanford, Seminole, Florida. Mr. Daniel C. Gardner recognized Norma as his daughter. Norma searched for him as an adult. He searched for each Norma after she was taken by Geraldine to Tampa. There is an article from Tampa Tribune 1949, when Norma was trying to find him. Strangely, his family receives the telegram the same week he dies…My Aunt tells me that Daniel Gardner wrote letters to Mr. Collins regarding Norma, so it seems to excepted family history that he was her paternal parent.

Through articles in the Denver Post where Geraldine took her life on 12 August 1926 along with Tampa Tribune article dated 18 August 1926, I have discovered: Geraldine was buried in Denver at an unmarked grave. I have found the grave site and our family is beginning the process of putting a modest grave marker there. Also, Mr. Walter Collins came forward as Norma's guardian and it is in the 18 August Tampa article. The Denver Police had called the Sacred Heart Convent (Tampa) searching for her. They must have gotten in touch with him? Any way, he had been Norma's guardian for 6 years. Norma Golden is listed in the 1930s census as his ward. Believe it or not, The Tampa Tribune also has articles about his death on February 25, 1933. He was shot 5 times less that 1/4 mile from his house. It seems, he was meeting someone on a sandy side road. Through the article, Norma's family had sought to get her back. He was a local popular artist and through the articles, I have discovered his wife (Mamie) gave all his paintings to the University of Tampa. She and my grandmother, Norma Golden, moved to Dayton Ohio. My grandmother married my grandfather Ned in 1935 and moved to PA and Mamie dies 4 April 1945 in Dayton. She is buried in Woodland Cemetery, Dayton, Montgomery.

All this knowledge is not helping discover who Norma's mother really was. Her name, birth, family name. I need to see if I can find out why people have these different variations for her name: GOLDEN, HATHAWAY, DEBOIS, DU PRIE (PREE). Unfortunately, I am not great at researching adoptions/guardianships/foster during the years 1918 - 1933 in Florida (or anywhere).

P.S. The Tampa Tribune article dated 1949 states that Norma was kept briefly at a Orphanage in Arcadia, DeSoto County, Florida…but I find that the Denver Police contacted Norma through the Sacred Heart in Hillsborough (Tampa) in 1926 after her mother's death. It seems my grandmother did not know any of this. I just sent my aunt the articles from the Tampa Tribune dated 1929 and 1933 as she did not have any of that information either…

I hope this clears things up for you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DVRHeller5719 6 Dec 2013 8:00AM GMT 
paigefrank77 7 Dec 2013 12:10AM GMT 
DVRHeller5719 7 Jan 2014 4:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic