Search for content in message boards

Native American Heritage in Walton (Okaloosa) County, FL

Replies: 6

Re: Native American Heritage in Walton (Okaloosa) County, FL

Posted: 30 Jul 2007 2:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
My grt grt grandmother was from Walton County and Okaloosa Counties in Florida: They were from a town called ucheeann which was occupied by Native Americans a tribe called Yutsi or uchee. this territory covered what is now known as Defuniak, Crestview,Freeport,Paxton Florida; They were seperate yet part of the Lower Muskogee Creeks from Ga. This was in the 16th-17th century. There is a Island and some land In South Carolina called Uchee Island and they migrated to Florida which was then Alabama and part of Georgia. During the French And Spainish Wars Geronimo and some of his people and Indians from all over the U.S. you had Apaches,Shawnee,Cherokee's,Oneida'a and more come to this area: That is when the Seminole ran in to the Florida Swamps and were then called by the creek's runaway. The Uchee scattered some went to Mexico, some to N.C. some to Central Florida (Santa Rosa County) and some were captured and sent to Oklahoma and were added to the Muskogee Creek Nation. Still today some do not affiliate themselves with the Muskogee Creek but consider themselves as a seperate people Celebrating theyre ceremonie's on a different Square Ground Seperated from the Muskogee Creek's. They have a homecoming every year and its usually in July. I have been trying to get rolls or find a way to get rolls on the Yutsi and so far have not had any luck in doing so. There are still some Yutsi in Florida and SouthCarolina. They speak a entirely different dialect and its called Itsi some speak with a french dialect and some speak with a Spainish Dialect. The Definition of Yutsi amoung many of the other tribes was traslated as meaning: Mean People, Im not sure of what clan they may of derived from but from what I have been reading they may have been from the Calusa, and Couhatta tribes and possibly others. The dialect they have is like no other tribe or clan in the U.S. and they lived on the banks of the ocean and then moved inland to set up communities amoung the Savannah, Flint, Chatahootchee Rivers. The National Historical Society said at one time they did have a home coming there on the Savannah and are now trying to get together another one they hope will evolve soon. I have 5 books on the Indians of N.W. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama Indians. The maps I have show all of North Florida, Walton County, Okaloosa County and more up to the Georgia line as being Alabama Territory and Tallhassee down being La'Florida.
I will have to go back and get the Creditionals on References for you. Im just giving an insight to you as far as the information I have. I will get the credits to you soon.
Hope this helps.
Linda
cherokeeladyfox@cox.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JudyCaden1234 14 May 2007 9:42PM GMT 
Jeremy Abbott 17 Jun 2007 12:13AM GMT 
LindaCalhoun4... 30 Jul 2007 8:20PM GMT 
ECooper52 21 Jun 2009 9:47PM GMT 
LindaCalhoun4... 30 Jul 2007 8:23PM GMT 
LindaCalhoun4... 11 Feb 2008 2:19AM GMT 
LindaCalhoun4... 11 Feb 2008 2:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions