Search for content in message boards

Avery, Francis Asbury & Jesse Wheeler, Baldwin Co., GA

Replies: 4

Avery, Francis Asbury & Jesse Wheeler, Baldwin Co., GA

Lou Poole (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2003 9:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Is anyone researching the families of AVERY WHEELER, FRANCIS ASBURY (aka F.A.B., Francis A.B.) WHEELER, and/or JESSE WHEELER -- all of whom appeared in early Baldwin County, Georgia? Does anyone know what the relationship might be between the three men as suggested from the following newspaper notice?

[20 April 1819] "Will be sold on the first Tuesday in June next, at the court-house in the town of Milledgeville, the north west half of lot No. 102, in the 2d district of Baldwin County ... 101 1/4 acres ... taken to satisfy sundry executions in favor of AVERY WHEELER against JESSE WHEELER and ASBERRY WHEELER..."

Jesse Wheeler and "Asberry" Wheeler were both listed in the 1820 census of Baldwin County. "Asberry" was listed as 16-26 years old, and Jesse was listed as over 45. Hence I conclude that Jesse might have been the father of Asbury. These three were the only male Wheelers that I can find in early extant records of Baldwin County, so I tentatively conclude that they may have been related.

"Asberry" is almost certainly the same as Asbury Wheeler who appeared in later records, and still later became known as Francis Asbury. Even later he appeared in the records as Francis A.B., Francis Asbury B., and simply F.A.B. Wheeler.

Soon after the above newspaper notice appeared, a HENRY WHEELER emerged, who, I think, is the same Henry H. Wheeler who seemed to follow Francis Asbury Wheeler to Harris County, GA (ca. 1828), then to Alabama (ca. 1830), and finally to Montgomery County, Texas (ca. 1833).

What happened to Jesse? Did he die in Baldwin County or move elsewhere? Where? and When?

I would like to exchange notes and collaborate with anyone who might know anything about any of these three men (I have accumulated some information on Francis A.B. and Henry H. which I can share).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Lou Poole 2 Aug 2003 3:00PM GMT 
duncan c wheeler 9 Jan 2004 11:29PM GMT 
familyman691 1 May 2005 3:21PM GMT 
txgeezer 19 Sep 2012 4:59PM GMT 
Terry Morris 16 May 2004 11:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic