Search for content in message boards

Knoxes out of Trion, Chattooga, Georgia

Replies: 0

Knoxes out of Trion, Chattooga, Georgia

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 9:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Feb 2013 9:50AM GMT
Surnames: Knox
I have been searching for ANY info that ANYONE can give me about the Knoxes out of Chattooga, GA!I believe my husband's family are descendants of John Knox, "The Emigrant". We are African American and John Knox emigrated to the U.S., I believe in 1740. He was from Scotland. He first settled in Rowan County, NC and from there GA. The connection from his family to my husband's comes 2 or 3 generations later, I believe: John Knox was the Father of Samuel Knox, Sr., who was the Father of Samuel Knox, Jr., who was the Father of William W. Knox (b:1819 or 1820), who was the Father of a William Knox (b:1856 or 1857). Now my confusion comes in on the 1870 and 1880 Censusus for William W. Knox (b: 1819)... in 1870 he has a family and lives in very close proximity to Jefferson, Moriah and Frances Knox... Maybe he owned Jefferson and his family during slavery and that's how they got the Knox name??? Yes, William W (b:1820) was 50 at the time and his son, William was 13 at the time and Frances was 17 at the time, but on the 1880 Census, he is listed as blind and he still lives in proximity to Jefferson Knox and his family, except Frances is no longer there and there is a Mulatto grandson named William John or John William Knox aged 9, makes him born around 1871...this is where I get confused! A Mulatto child is in the house, and Frances is gone... but she would have only been 9 or 10 years old in 1871!!! I recently found death info for John William Knox or William John Knox... it says he went on to marry a Phyllis Ruth (Easlon{maiden}-Baker {married before}). He died on March 23, 1930. But, it has his Father listed as Jeff Knox, which I believe was his Grandfather!!! Can anyone help me straighten out this story or am I on the correct path? Hmm... But for now, I am stuck!!! Thanks in Advance.
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions