Search for content in message boards

Crawford County families with ties to the making of pottery.

Replies: 18

Re: Crawford County families with ties to the making of pottery.

Neal Smith (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2004 10:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Julie, First of all Julie let me apologize for not replying to your post sooner. I have not been getting notification of posts added to this site as I should have and guess in the future I will have to check back more often.

Washington Becham and his sons Columbus Jackson and Lafayette (Fate) Becham did indeed make pottery here in Crawford Cty and are famous throught out the South for the beehive shaped jugs. The marks found on the handles of the jugs include WB, CJB, FLB, and rarely a P. The P is for THomas Pyles, nephew of Wash, who also made pottery for his uncle when work on the family farm permitted. Becham pottery is highly collectible and some of the most sought after of all Crawford County pottery. I will be glad to send you some photos of some wonderful Becham pieces I have run across over the years as well as put you in touch with several local Becham family members who have done extensive geneological research. Thomas Pyles, who I mentioned earlier, was my great grandfather so I feel a special affinity for the Becham's and their wonderful beehive jugs. A third cousin of mine has been putting together a collection of those jugs and other items and as a matter of fact I just went and picked up two Washingtion Becham signed jugs today along with a Fate Becham jug signed FLB. You will be amazed at the forms and glazes Wash and his pottery produced and we will be glad to share them with you. There is much debate among Crawford County pottery collectors and students as to whether the Bechams made pottery in Washington County or learned the craft here in Crawford so if you have information that might shed light on that subject we would be very interested in hearing from you. Thanks so much for your post and once again I apologize for the delay in my reply. Neal Smith Roberta, GA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Neal Smith 5 Jan 2003 5:29AM GMT 
BettyHam3335 7 Jan 2003 3:01PM GMT 
Neal Smith 9 Jan 2003 1:34AM GMT 
Mary Ellen Davis 8 Jan 2003 4:19AM GMT 
Don 9 Jan 2003 12:54AM GMT 
Julie Shofstall 4 Aug 2003 1:37PM GMT 
Neal Smith 11 Mar 2004 5:53AM GMT 
rel8ively 12 Mar 2004 3:07PM GMT 
Jean Satterfield 1 Nov 2004 12:47AM GMT 
varcsix 2 Nov 2004 3:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions