Search for content in message boards

Children's Home Society of Atlanta, GA

Replies: 25

Children's Home Society of Atlanta, GA

Posted: 31 Dec 2009 9:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any type of information on the Georgia Children's Home Society of Atlanta, GA - listed in the 1920 census as the Home for the Friendless. My grandfather was adopted from there in 1924; his name was Paul Denham. After being adopted his name was changed to Paul Jones. All I know about this place, for sure, is that the home burned down in (I believe) the 1930's. Since all the records were filed in the building, they were completely destroyed. This home is known today as "Hillside" which is located in Atlanta. I have contacted the Atlanta Historical Society as well as many other places in Atlanta with no success of learning anything; in fact, they had never heard of this place. It was only through searching many different websites that I learned about Hillside. I contacted a lady there and she knew a little of the history; however, she was only able to provide very little info. and none pertained to my grandfather. She also told me that she doubted if the Georgia Department of Archives would have any info as the records were stored at the home. And if they did have a record on my grandfather, I would have to hire a lawyer and even then it would be difficult to obtain access to his records. Though I am very thankful for the history and advice she provided me with, I am still searching for that person who might know something-anything about this home. My grandfather tried for years to obtain info concerning where he come from, but nobody was able to help him. He passed away in 1997 never knowing anything about his family or the place he was left as an orphan.

If anyone is able to help me with this, it will be greatly appreciated.

Lisa Warden
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
skwarden 1 Jan 2010 4:05AM GMT 
Jamie_Lerner 1 May 2010 2:23AM GMT 
skwarden 7 May 2010 4:33AM GMT 
Jamie_Lerner 7 May 2010 2:55PM GMT 
skwarden 7 May 2010 8:47PM GMT 
bonnienichols 9 May 2010 5:10AM GMT 
BrendaMcGlone... 31 Jan 2011 9:32PM GMT 
ronnieaddis 31 Jan 2011 10:59PM GMT 
1heather9 19 Feb 2011 2:28AM GMT 
Griyuts 21 Feb 2011 1:58AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions