Search for content in message boards

Plantation Documents of William Copeland Sr. Harris County, GA

Replies: 33

Re: CookingLoverXOX

Posted: 6 Jun 2010 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Jenna,

I have been meaning to "THANK YOU" for your kind offer, on behalf of your extended family, to share your documented evidence regarding the Whiteheads of Harris Co., GA. At this point, there really isn't anything more I need to know about the Whiteheads as I have more or less concluded my research into this line.

Many years ago I encountered a distant relative who claimed that our Whitehead ancestor was of Native American descent but my great uncle (who conducted fairly extensive genealogical research before he died at the age of 99) said his father (who was born in 1860) never made such a claim about his mother (meaning my great uncle's grandmother) and thus he believed (but was never able to prove one way or the other) that this may have merely been family folklore.

Over the years, I have tried to collect documentation to either prove or disprove "oral history" that has been handed down thru generations and have discovered that a number of our most cherised family stories were nothing more wishful thinking (I must admit that the truth did hurt but what can you say when faced with actual facts).

The series that Dr. Gates did on PBS concerning African American genealogy was a real eye opener especially when he was able to "disprove" by DNA testing that a number of well known African American celebrities, who always thought they were part Native American, really weren't. Althought these individuals had been told by family that they were part Native American and some even had what they believed to be Native American traits (high cheek bones, reddish skin coloring, degrees of straight hair, etc..), I seem to recall that the vast majority of those tested actually carried White European genes rather than Native American. Although it can be very disappointing to find out something you have always believed to be true is actually factually inaccurate, our history is what it is and can't be written just to suit what we hold dear in our hearts.

I want to wish you continued success in your quest to gain knowledge about your family. As I have shared all I have to share on this particular thread, I likely won't be adding anything more.

Sincerely,

Margaret
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lianelallen 22 Jul 2011 5:05AM GMT 
zoealegra123 22 Jul 2011 7:27PM GMT 
zoealegra123 16 Aug 2011 12:27AM GMT 
CookingLoverX... 6 Jun 2010 10:01PM GMT 
jenna875 8 Jun 2010 10:41AM GMT 
BobEllis3357 8 Jun 2010 12:05AM GMT 
zoealegra123 8 Jun 2010 1:20AM GMT 
closed2 12 Jul 2010 3:59AM GMT 
tori10asee2 9 Jan 2013 11:52PM GMT 
BobEllis3357 5 Jun 2010 7:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions