Search for content in message boards

Plantation Documents of William Copeland Sr. Harris County, GA

Replies: 33

Re: Plantation Documents of William Copeland Sr. Harris County, GA

Posted: 7 Jun 2010 7:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Copeland, Jarret (Jarrot), Mullins, Whitehead, Bryant, Trammel
Hi again to Copeland researchers -

There is book with info on the Copeland and Dunns called: Wills and Administrations of Elizabeth City County, Virginia, 1688-1800, by Blanche Adams Chapman.

I think the Dunns or a portion of them go back to Ireland if I'm remembering correctly. I haven't really started working on it yet.

However, I would suggest since some of these families kept ties with Britain (especially the Copeland family mainly in London and Scotland) and were involved in colonial trade well up into the 1900s and perhaps even now (in Britain), that anyone interested in the Copeland ancestry also look into the British records of the same periods.

I think they were a pretty prominent family during this period and so it might not be that hard to discover much through the English records.

I will be checking them out myself but if you find anything on their East Indian indentured either in Britain or London please let me know.

I was thinking either William or Richard Copeland (as they were both born in Virginia) his father could be directly tied to either Julia's mother Lizzie and Ben father both born in Georgia between 1814 and 1816. Lizzie's mother was born outside the country in either Africa or India.

It was common for Census takers to mistake "East India Negroes" for people of African ancestry and Native American Indians in the 1700 and 1800s so taking context into consideration I am assuming it may have been Lizzie's mom brought in to Virginia since the Copelands in Britain were still very much involved in the East India Trading company well into the late 19th century.

Also East Indians were pretty numerous in Virginia in the 1700s most of whom came through England according to historians. The fact that my grandmother and Julia knew that her ancestor came through England is what fascinates They were brought through Surat the base of the East India Trading company and from Pakistan and all parts of India which would have been known by such names as Punjab, Bharata or Baluchistan in that day to the people of "East India."

I found this by one historian a Professor at the Lamar University in Texas “It is impossible to confidently estimate the size of the South Asian population in the Western Shore counties, but “East Indians” outnumber “Indians” in the extant colonial records after 1710 or so,” acknowledges Brown.

These were absorbed into the general Negro population.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lianelallen 22 Jul 2011 5:05AM GMT 
zoealegra123 22 Jul 2011 7:27PM GMT 
zoealegra123 16 Aug 2011 12:27AM GMT 
CookingLoverX... 6 Jun 2010 10:01PM GMT 
jenna875 8 Jun 2010 10:41AM GMT 
BobEllis3357 8 Jun 2010 12:05AM GMT 
zoealegra123 8 Jun 2010 1:20AM GMT 
closed2 12 Jul 2010 3:59AM GMT 
tori10asee2 9 Jan 2013 11:52PM GMT 
BobEllis3357 5 Jun 2010 7:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions