Search for content in message boards

Pollock, Watson, Woodard, Brunson notebook

Replies: 3

Pollock, Watson, Woodard, Brunson notebook

Posted: 7 Jun 2008 10:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pollock Watson Brunson Woodard McCormick Barker Singleton Taylor Jones Weathersby Johnson
I just finished doing a second transcription of a collection of family notes written by James Greenberry Pollock (1833-1923) in about 1910.

They involve a great many families and individuals from Houston Co., in particular the Upper 11th District.

I will be working on a names index and more specific dates for individuals. Dates for Jesse Pollock are ca. 1763-1832.

Please pass along details if you are kin to any of these folks.
---
[page 1]

History of the family of Jessee Pollock & Sallie Greenwood Pollock as far as known by J.G. Pollock

Jessee & Sallie G. Pollock came from North Carolina some time previous to the year 1800 and Settled in Twiggs Co. lived there for a number of years then moved to Houston Co. where they were living at their death. They both lived to be more than 80 years old at their death. The Husband dying several years before the wife. Jesse Pollock was a tall square built man weighing about 180 lbs or more. His wife Sallie
[page 2]
was also tall active and energetic well liked by all her acquaintances. Jesse Pollock was a Soldier in the Revolutionary War but where he originally came from or what branch of the army he served in the writer does not know. Neither in what state nor in what year he was married nor how many of their children were born before they came to Georgia, but am sure some of the younger ones were born after moving to Ga. As I said before they both lived to a good old age and died in Houston Co. and were buried in what was known at that time as the Pollock grave yard which has been abandoned
[page 3]
at least fifty years. There is not a stone or mark of any kind to locate the place. Later on there was a new burying ground for the neighborhood known as Beaver Creek cemetery near Beaver Creek church where a large number of the best people of that section namely the Woodards, the Hollands, the Taylors, the Jones & Pollocks & others were buried.
Jesse & Sallie Pollock had born unto them eight children, five Boys & three girls. The oldest John, Rachel, Elizabeth, Thomas, Morris & Martin twins, Lewis & Sallie. We will take them up as named and give their History as far as known.
[page 4]
John the oldest Son married a Miss Cooper. Several children were born unto them. William, John G. and perhaps others. They lived in Baker Co and their families are all in that section of the State, except John G. He married in Houston County a Miss Ann Whitehead. Their children were two daughters Lizzie married James Barker, Genie married Green Watson all living in Houston Co.
[page 5]
Rachel married Jacob Taylor. Their children were James who married a Miss Kirkland, Jessee & Dempsey Twins, neither of them married. John married a Lady in Baker Co. Elizabeth married Mike Watson. Nancy married Curtis Daniel. Mahaly married William Keen of Irwin Co.
Eliza married Joe Mercer, moved to Texas.
[page 6]
Elizabeth married Ben Johnson moved to south west Ga don't know anything about their family.
[page 7]
Thomas Pollock married a miss Elizabeth Hancock. Their children were John Pollock who married a miss McLendon, Morris Pollock who never married, Died in war 1863. Martha married Jack Taylor. Susie married Jim Taylor. Elizabeth married E.A. Pollock.
Francis married Ben McKinney. Sallie married Horton Henly. Most of them live in Pulaski & Dooly Co.
[page 8]
Morris Pollock married Betsy Simpson. Their children were E.A. Pollock who married Elizabeth Pollock. Jessie who went blind about the age of 20 never married. Mary married Wm Culpepper have several children living in South Ga. Emiline married D.G. McCormick of Hawkinsville. Their children are Annie who married Mr. McGriff. Emmie who married a Mr. Polhill of Hawkinsville. Genie married a Mr. McDonald. D.G. McCormick Jr. not married lives in Hawkinsville.
[page 9]
Martin Pollock married a Miss Weathersby of Baker Co. Know nothing of their family. Suppose they live in South west or Southern Ga.
[page 10]
Lewis Pollock Born 1802 died 1857. Married Mary Watson of Houston Co. about the year 1828. Their children were Martha who married Isaac Woodard. Several children were born unto them, only one Celeser lived to be grown. Celeser married J. F. Turner. She dying left one daughter Mattie, who married Will Cook who lives in Wilcox co.
Jessee F. Pollock who married Eliza Holland. He died in 1857. Leaving wife and two children Ida & Martha F. Pollock. Ida married a Mr. Stephens. Marth F. married a Mr. Storey, both families live in South Ga.
J.G. Pollock married Nancy Brunson. Their children
[page 11]
were P.D. Pollock who married Miss Eva Selman, their children George S., Constance & Marshall. The first two died when small. Marshall is with his mother who lives in Monroe, Ga.
Sallie lived to be grown, died never married. Susanah, Living with her parents never married. George D. married Miss Pearl Couch of Senora Ga. Their children are Madge, Frank & George D. Jr. John L. married Miss Laura Moore of Rome Ga. Their children are Jake Moore who died when young, Nancy Lee and Mary Sue, Charlie has never married lives in Birmingham, Ala.
[page 12]
Della F. married J.W. Mosletter. Their children are J.W. Jr. & Sarah Elizabeth. Walter E. married miss Inez Wright of Ohio. Their children are Walter Eugene Jr. and Mary Louise.
Thomas B. died when about 12 years old in Rome, Ga.
---
John Morris Pollock, son of Lewis & Mary Pollock died when about 15 years of age.
---
E.L. Pollock married Nancy Holland. Their children are Emma who married Ed Bryan. Bettie who married Albert Perry. J.L. Pollock who married Florance Burney. J. Ike who married Annie Story. Minnie who married Frank Lee. Ida who married Charles Shiflett.
[page 13]
Pinkney J. Pollock youngest son of Lewis & Mary Pollock died in 1858 when about 17 years old.
---
Sallie Pollock daughter of Jessee Pollock Sr. married Amos Chancey. Their children were Rachel, Jessee, William, Amos.

As I have given the History of the Pollock Family as far as I know it, I will give you a short History of the Watson family, my mothers family. JGP.

[page 14]
History of the family of Jessee F. Watson my Grand Father on Mother Side

I do not know where my grand Father Jessee F. Watson came from. I think from South Carolina. He and his wife who was a Frederick, lived in Twiggs Co. moved from there to Houston Co. and there to Dooly Co. where he died about 1845 at an old age, Eighty years or more. He was the father of 5 children. Green B. who married Sallie Brunson. They raised a good large family who live in South Ga. Elbert D. who married a Ferguson, they raised several children to be grown, all are dead except Georgia who lives in South Georgia
[page 15]
Delila a Sister of Green & Elbert married her cousin Jake Watson. I know nothing of their family. Sallie another sister married J.J. Hancock. They raised a large family who are scattered over South Georgia. Mary my mother married Lewis Pollock. They raised a family of Seven children. Martha who married Isaac Woodard, Jessee F. who married Eliza Holland, J.G. who married Nancy Brunson, J.L. who died before he was quite grown, E.L. who married Nancy Holland, Pinckney J. who died when about 17 years old and Mary Delila who died when small.
[page 16]
Short History of the Woodard family as I recollect it. JGP.

Isaac Woodard and his wife Nancy Singleton Woodard moved from South Carolina to Georgia settling in Houston Co. Their children who were all born in South Carolina, were Thomas who married a Stucky. James who married a Stucky, Elizabeth who married a Jones, Eliza who married a Brunson, Nancy who married a Brack. Asa who married Miss Gilbert and Isaac who married a Pollock and Mary who married a Holland.
[page 17]
History of the Brunson Family

David Brunson came to Georgia from South Carolina, his wife was a Hodges. Their children were Almorane, who married a Woodard, Susan who married a Speight, Martha who married a Tignon, Eliza married a Williams, Charlotte married a McLoud.

Almorane Brunson and Eliza Woodard Brunson raised a family of seven children. Daniel T. who married a Cheeves. Nancy who married J.G. Pollock. Mary who married W.R. Barnes, Susanah who married a Wright. Sallie who married a
[page 18]
Millican. William H. who married a Cook. David W. married a McAnver. The families of Almorane Brunson children are scattered, some in Ga, Some in Texas, some in Oklahoma, some in Arkansas.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Vance Pollock 7 Jun 2008 4:32PM GMT 
KarenDubois81 21 Oct 2008 11:39PM GMT 
Vance Pollock 22 Oct 2008 6:40AM GMT 
MikeNoggle 20 Oct 2012 6:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions