Search for content in message boards

Albritton, McDonald, and Green families in Lee Co., GA

Replies: 1

Albritton, McDonald, and Green families in Lee Co., GA

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 7:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Albritton, McDonald, MacDonald, MackIntosh, Green, Ghi-goo-ie, Shorey, Pruitt, Pruett
Hi. Im trying to find information on my John McDonald, b. 30 Oct 1774 Perthshire, Scotland to Duncan and Shusanna MackIntosh MacDonald; immigrated to America when? from Glasgow, Scotland ; married by Dec 1797 or Jan 1798 to perhaps a woman named Mary who was of Cherokee ancestry ; first child Jane H. McDonald b. 1798 maybe in GA., married Shepherd Green - other children: Rachel (b. 1806 - my ancestress - married Robert Littleton Albritton, moved to Lee Co., GA., where he died in 1847. Some descendants moved to Barbour Co., ALA.), Mary Anna Bell married Thomas Green, John, James, Lovey Emmaline who may have married a Pruitt or Pruett, Ranald/Ronald/Randall, Sarah married a Green, Adline ; lived from at least 1820-1840 in Jefferson County, GA. Sources say our John McDonald died 1840 Jefferson Co GA and was buried on Ogoochee River. Can't find info on his wife after that, nor some of his children. Havent found burial place of John or his wife. Some of the children and spouses moved to Lee Co., GA (or the boundary changed) by 1850. One child, James McDonald moved to Madison Co FLA. One source speaks of a Bible record, and I presume its in the James McDonald family somewhere. John McDonald and wife Mary are from my mother's side of the family. Mary is in a direct line of mothers back from me.
My mtDNA file matched the file of another whose most distant ancestor was listed Mollie Mary McDonald (1770-1808), the daughter of JOHN MCDONALD (1747-1824), Tory Deputy Indian Agent under John Stuart, and his wife, Anna Shorey (1750-1825 - half-blood Cherokee). Anna Shorey was a daughter of William Shorey (d. 1762 off Newfoundland) and his Cherokee wife Ghi-goo-ie of the Bird Clan. These people are written about in Dr. Emmet Starr's Old Cherokee Families and Their Genealogy, but Dr. Starr has mistakenly lumped William Shorey (d. 1762) with his son William Shorey (d 1809). This line moved to the Lookout Mountain area, and also TN.
I am hoping to find a relation who has more info on these families. Its possible that I am related through both the mothers and fathers of these line - the fathers through Clan Donald in Scotland, and the mothers through Cherokee blood. I am unsure about Mary, the wife of my John McDonald of Jefferson Co., GA. I only have one source for her name,and it did not say where the name came from in their research, though census records show her birth to have been 1776-1794 (1820 census) or 1781-1790 (1830 census). Either way, "Mary" is related by blood to Ghi-Goo-ie of the Bird Clan. Anything sound familiar?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LisaHale12 25 Feb 2013 2:59AM GMT 
Realityexcape... 25 Feb 2013 3:34AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic