Search for content in message boards

JOHN W. HALL MYSTERY -- COLUMBUS, GA AREA

Replies: 10

Re: JOHN W. HALL MYSTERY -- COLUMBUS, GA AREA

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 1:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HALL, HEARN, NEWSOME
Hi Darlene,

You are right about Angeline in 1850 census; this must be Annie Hall (1840); somehow I missed her name when I copied the names into my notes; sloppy work..

That is really neat that you found Wm T. Hall (1839) in 1880 Girard. I agree that the James there in that home is more likely your grandfather than being son of the other
younger Wm T. Hall (1847).. The 1880 dates are not precise, but close enough. Clincher for me is that young James was working in a brickyard… Wm T. Hall (1839) was a brick maker… We’re still absent a mother for your JW, though.
I wondered why William was marrying Susan so late in life (1880); he must have first married right after the War.
So, it looks like your James William and Alice were step-cousins or something like that. You said at one point that your JW’s mother was a Betty; where did you discover that?

I have been poking around last evening looking for Moses Hall… and am astounded to discover that a Moses H. Hall enrolled in Columbus GA Co. K, 37th GA Infantry on
almost the same date as my gg-grandfather Geo. Washington Hearn did. They must have fought side by side for a while. I am not certain, but it looks like this may be Moses Hiram Hall, born GA Oct 1837, who in 1866 married a Mrs. Lucinda [Parris] Nelson in Mobile, AL. He died in Baldwin Co., AL in Sep 1934. Lordy knows how he got to
Mobile area, but it surely looks like it may be him..

The obituaries I am finding come through a subscription I took out to Genealogy Bank http://www.genealogybank.com . Fortunately, they have on-line issues of the Columbus, GA
papers from 1880s-1920s. The Columbus Enquirer 1828-1890 is also free on-line at http://enquirer.galileo.usg.edu/enquirer/search .

After no end of tracking work, I finally found there the 12-25-1912 obituary of John W. Hall, who I presume was older brother of the WT Hall (1847) whom we have been discussing. John W. was the original Hall character I was seeking because he married Elizabeth [Curlee] Hearn, who was the widow of my ggg uncle James Hearn. The obituary of WT Hall (1847) was in the 3-20-1912 and 3-21-1912 issues of the Columbus Enquirer, as follows:

MR W.T. HALL DIED TUESDAY AFTERNOON

Mr. W.T. Hall died at his residence No. 3008 Third Avenue at 1:10 o’clock yesterday afternoon after an illness of several weeks, at the age of sixty five years. He is survived by his wife and an adopted daughter, Miss Ruby Hall. He was a member of Broad Street Methodist… last line blurred [He was a superintendent of that church going back to 1900]

W.T. HALL’S REMAINS BURIED IN LINWOOD

The funeral of Mr. W.T. Hall took place from Broad Street Methodist church yesterday afternoon at 3 o’clock and was conducted by Rev. H.C. Ewing and Rev. Mr. Stevens. A delegation from I.O.O.F. attended the service. The
remains were interred in Linwood Cemetery. The following gentlemen acted as pall bearers: H.F. Everett, Henry Grader, Robert Nelson, Thomas Moore, Henry Strupp, and Ed Sauls.

The obituary also supports the notion that this WT Hall was not father of your JW; otherwise it seems likely he would have been mentioned as a survivor. A bit strange, though, that Alice Hall Green is given no mention.

I thought I had exhausted all the sources for my original hunt for the family of John W. Hall, who I believe to have been the brother of younger W.T. Hall (1847). Last night I decided to take another look at CSA Pension files to see
if Moses Hall had ever filed. Well, instead I found my John W… He filed a petition in 1897— a carpenter by trade, in poor health owing to wound in 1862, indigent, etc. His wife Elizabeth, also not well off, applied for a widow pension after John died in 1912. There was some controversy about them being entitled to the pension because they owned some property-- they had a small grocery
store in Columbus around 1895-96 that went broke. As part of the file, there are a few 1897 affidavits from a person who identifies himself as C.E.M Hall, son of John. Using the 1910 census, I had discovered that Elizabeth had seven
children—- five then living. After months of work, and aided mightily by a short 1912 newspaper obituary for John, I had located the following six children: Sarah (born ca. 1868), Georgia (DOB ca. 1880-90), Will (DOB unk), Sam (1873), John Wesley Tilden, (1876), and Ada (1881). Sarah, Will, Sam, John WT, and Ada were listed as survivors in the 1912 obit.

Sarah was allegedly born 12-23-1867, six months prior to mother Elizabeth’s marriage to John W. Hall and thereby would have possibly been a child of my James Hearn. She married first (1896) Richard Shiria, and then (1906)
John William Howard. She died in Columbus March 1925. Sarah had one daughter by the first marriage.

Georgia was likely born sometime between 1880-90. She is not listed in her father’s home in the 1894 Columbus City Directory, so I assume she was likely less than sixteen years old, i.e., born after 1878. The only real reference I found for her was her presence in father John’s home and employment as a mill worker, in the 1906 Columbus City Directory. Since she is not listed in the obit, I assume
she died 1906-1912.

Will is a complete mystery. The 1912 obit states that he was then living in Goodwater, Alabama. He is listed as a survivor in his sister Ada’s obit, so he died after 1921. I wonder if this is still another WT Hall. There is a yet
unidentified WT Hall, grocer at 1933 2nd Avenue in the 1894 and 1900 Columbus City Directory. There is also a Wm G. Hall listed in the home of William T. Hall (1847) in 1910 Columbus City Directory. Could the missing Will then have been living with his uncle?

Sam was likely Sam Walker Hall, born 1873, who died of snakebite in Columbus Jun 1923. He may have been named for his grandfather Sampson W. Hall. He married (1893) Joana B.A. Newsome and lived mostly on the Alabama side of the river. They had nine children, four of whom died as infants.

John Wesley Tilden (JWT) Hall was born in Columbus in October 1876, and I assume he may have been named for the then current presidential candidate. He married in AL (1899) Fannie Lee Carroll. He spent much of his life in the Bessemer/Birmingham, AL area. He died in Arkansas in 1926. I have quite a bit of his family record owing to the documentation provided by one of his descendants. JWT Hall had eight children by Fannie.

Ada married (1913) James M. Howard, a son by first marriage of Sarah’s husband John William Howard. Ada died in Feb 1921 and is the subject of a short obituary in the 2-20-1921 issue of the Columbus Ledger.

And now I have located another son for John W-- C.E.M. Hall. Darn those initials! I see only one likely candidate for C.E.M. any place outside the 1897 CSA Pension file. In 1900, there is a Charles Hall (born Jan 1878) boarding in Phenix City, AL with a Joseph Newsome (born 1873) who is brother of Joana B.A. Newsome, who married Sam W. Hall mentioned above. C.E.M. Hall was alive in 1897, old enough to sign legal affidavit, and he was not named in the 1912 obituary, so that likely brackets his death date.

In J.W. Hall’s Jan 1897 CSA pension application, he states that he has seven children-— two at work in mills, three married, and two living at home too young to work. From all I can tell, the mill workers are sons J.W.T. and C.E.M.,
The 1897 married folks are Sarah, Sam, and Will, and the youngsters are Ada and Georgia. In 1910-12, only five children survive. I think C.E.M. and Georgia died 1900-1910.

The tracking of this JW Hall family has been extraordinarily difficult because of its uncanny absence in census presence. John W. Hall, for example, is missing for
the 1870, 1880, and 1900 census. I wonder if this absence was by intention or accident or perhaps by misspelling. I learned early on that the name Hall is spelled about a half dozen crazy ways-- Hau, Haul, Hawl, Howl, Hull, Halle, etc.

regards,

robert holley
yer roots tracker
Miami, FL

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bob15955 1 Apr 2013 7:08AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic