Search for content in message boards

Wise/Stewart

Replies: 1

Re: Wise/Stewart-Location of Oconee/Clarke County Records

Posted: 24 Aug 2013 9:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: TOOLE CROW WISE STEWART
I saved your posting that came through the e-mail list connected to this message board. I am surprised to see that no one has answered as to the location of old Clarke/Oconee County records. Your message gives no indication of where you live or if you are planning a research trip, etc.? I have done some research in the Clarke County Court House in Athens and the Oconee County Court House in Watkinsville, Georgia, on various trips back to Georgia. The old records for Clarke County are in Athens, Georgia. About 1875 the county seat was moved from Watkinsville to Athens, the biggest town in the county. Then Oconee County was formed from part of Clarke with Watkinsville as the county seat. A new set of records was then started for the new county of Oconee. The marriage of one set of my great grandparents was the second marriage recorded in the first marriage book. Pierce Columbus Toole to Amanda C. Crow in 1875. So far as I know after years of research I have no connection to your Wise-Stewart. I suggest you look to older counties from which Clarke was formed and back to Wilkes County.
Vivian Toole Cates, Alto, Texas 1-936-858-3801
vtoole at my inu. net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JanBodine51 21 Aug 2013 9:29PM GMT 
VivianCates50 24 Aug 2013 3:28PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions