Search for content in message boards

Murphy Family

Replies: 4

Murphy Family

Janie Kraker (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2002 7:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murphy, Hunter, Edge, Westmoreland, Womack, Hulsey
I'm looking for any additional info regarding my paternal grandmother's family. Her maiden name was Johnnie Bert Murphy. Her father was Albert Cunningham Murphy and he was married to Anna. My great-great grandfather was named Joseph Manson Murphy. He was married to Rebecca Hunter, daughter of Nathan B. Hunter. Nathan B. Hunter built a log cabin, now covered by boards, off of what is now called Owl's Creek Swamp Road. (I believe it is the first "driveway" on the right.) Joseph Manson Murphy served in the CSA cavalry under the command of General Joe Johnson and fought throughout the southeast. I understand that he was captured by the Yankees in Atlanta and upon his release, walked back to his homestead. He had repeatedly told "Granny Becky" NOT to sell any of their land, but to sell their slaves. She did not respect his wishes and sold the majority of their land. Towards the top of the "driveway" there is a creek on the left and the homeplace is on the right. Also, on the left at the top of the hill is a "barn" that was still standing as of 7 or 8 years ago. You could follow a path behind the barn and it would take you to the Murphy family cemetary. This cemetary was relocated by the Corps of Engineers when Lake Hartwell was built. Joseph Manson Murphy and Rebecca Murphy were the parents of my great grandfather, Albert Cunningham Murphy.
He married Anna Westmoreland. Other Westmorelands were Pauline, Jewel (aka Babe) and Mattie.Albert Cunningham Murphy and Anna Murpy's children were: Johnnie Bert Murphy (my grandmother), Joseph Freeman Murphy, Phil Murphy and Susan Rebecca Murphy. My grandmother married Jesse David Henderson in the Atlanta area and they had two children, my father, Jesse Murphy Henderson and my aunt, Betty Jo Henderson Davey. Jesse Murphy Henderson married Betty Jane Gates of Porterdale, GA and they had three girls, me (Melissa Jane Henderson Kraker - aka Janie), Teresa Joanne Henderson Garcia (aka Joanne) and Mary Jeanine Henderson Bartlett (aka Jeanine). Uncle Freeman married Zelma Stancil of Toccoa. The Stancil home place was within walking distance (through the woods) at the old metal bridge on GA 23. Uncle Freeman and Aunt "Z" had two sons, Joe Wayne and Wendell Murphy, but they moved from Toccoa to Ringgold, I believe. Uncle Phil and Aunt Eloise moved to Atlanta and then to Smyrna, GA. They had no children. Aunt Susan Rebecca Murphy was married twice, first to Uncle Olin (deceased) and later to Clarence Stewart of Atlanta. They had no children. My grandmother said that her father (Albert Cunninham Murphy) was a "dirt farmer" and their homeplace was just up the road from the Hunter House, where my great great grandfather lived with Aunt Becky. The house is no longer standing. My grandmother remembers going to parties at the "Jarret Manor House" aka Traveler's Rest. Of further interest is that when Joseph Manson Murphy and Granny Becky died, the old home place built by Nathan B. Hunter was given to Aunt Mary Hunter and her husband Uncle John Edge, who was a doctor in Toccoa. He drove a Model-T Ford and at his death it only had 200 miles on it. I understand from my father that the Nathan B. Hunter house is now called the "Edge" house", which is incorrect. I have access to the plots of the "new" Murphy cemetary, which I will post at a later date. It is in a safety deposit box.
Aunt Babe lived in a small house on the right side of the road on Hwy 23 going towards Traveler's Rest. (I remember there being a BIG sign painted on a barn that advertised salt.) That house burned. I was born in 1951 and can still remember very well how cold that house was and it was heated by a big pot-bellied stove in the front room. There were two bedrooms and a large dining/eating area at the back of the house and the kitchen sink had an old hand pump for water. There was also a huge pile of coal on the side of the house for the pot-bellied stove. And there were haystacks in back of the house.
I am extremely interested in any information that I can find regarding the Murphy family. All of the Murphy's directly linked to my grandmother are all deceased. Also, any info regarding Nathan B. Hunter and his home would be GREATLY appreciated. My grandmother referred to the area they lived in as Tugalo, not Tugaloo. I appreaciate anything that anyone can add to my information.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Janie Kraker 19 Feb 2002 2:57AM GMT 
deborahreed20... 2 Feb 2006 3:59AM GMT 
deborahreed20... 3 Feb 2006 2:21AM GMT 
JanieKraker 26 Apr 2013 6:12PM GMT 
JanieKraker 26 Apr 2013 6:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions