There are about 100 family trees which show Andrew Stewart in 1760 or 1764, Georgia. I believe all are talking about the same person.
There are two different fathers cited for him depending on the tree you look at. The fathers are from two different places in Scotland. Which is correct? Is either correct? I do not think so. Any information and documentation, proof, of who his parents were and where they came from would be very much appreciated.
After years of searching I can not find proof as to when he arrived in the colonies. One source says his family arrived about 1727 in NC and settled there. From where? What Ship?
Georgia did not exist in 1764 as a state as it was still a colony of England. Was he alone? What ship did he arrive on? Where did it sail from and when or did he arrive from one of the colonies?
Many Stewart GED files Start with "Andrew Stewart born in 1764 Warren, Ga". The problem with that is the 1764 date references the date mentioned by David Dobson's book "Scots in Georgia and the Deep South, 1735-1845 and not his date of birth. He may have entered the Georgia province/colony at that time before that. The exact quote from that book says "Stewart, Andrew, to leave Georgia in January 1764. (Ga.Gaz.#42)"
Remember Georgia was originally settled by men from Debtor prisons in England. Andrew is not listed as one of the prisoners off the ships manifests but it explains the article from the Ga. Gazette. The Georgia Gazette #42 (Ga.Gaz.#42) says: "As Mr. Andrew Stewart intends to leave this province, he desires any person to whom he is indebted to come immediately and receive payment, and any person indebted to him to settle the same."
Gerorgia was a buffer colony for England to seperate Spanish held Florida from the other English Colonies. England imported Scotish Highlander troops to man fortifications through out the Georgia Province. Did Andrew arrive as one of these men?
Time line for known information on Andrew:
1. birth date and place unknown.
2. arrival in Colonies unknown, although some say
Warren Ga. 1764.
3. Jan 1764 leaving Warren Georgia.
4. 1793 Warren Ga. marries Ester Wright.
5. 1794 Wilkes Ga. birth of son David.
6. 1796 Warren Ga. birth of son John M.
7. 1797 Upson Ga. birth of son Edmond.
8. 17 Feb 1800 town unknown Ga. birth of daughter Nancy.
9. May 1805 Robertstown, Lumpkin, Ga. birth of son
10. 22 Apr 1809 town and state unknown birth of son
11. 1810 U S Census Shelby Kentucky Roll 8, pg 197,
12. 26 Apr 1813 town and state unknown birth of son Isacc.
13. 1820 U S Census Oglethorpe Co Ga. Roll M33 7, pg 300,
14. 13 Jul 1823 town unknown Ga. birth of daughter Hilda.
15. 04 May 1828 town unknown Ga. birth of son Amos.
16. 1830 Hancock or Warren Ga. birth of son James.
17. 1830 U S Census Hancock Ga Roll 18 pg 167.
18. 1840 U S Census Richmond Ga. Roll 49 pg 288
19 1840-1849 specific date and town of death is unknown
(some say Warren Ga.)Ga. Death
Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help!